584,866 active members*
4,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > AutoCAD 2014 Files using V24, V25, V26 - Files not opening or have problems

AutoCAD 2014 Files using V24, V25, V26 - Files not opening or have problems

Hey all,

We had just recently updated our engineering department to AutoCAD 2014 and Inventor 2014. I now find when trying to open a DWG file I always get an error saying "Failed In: Open". So they save as an older version of AutoCAD format and those I can open, but only shows the shape of the part. All the holes, slots, etc are missing. File is unusable. But if they save as DXF format, I can work with the file.

Anyone having these issues also? Is BobCAD aware before I submit a bug report? Just wondering if V26 with its update can open the newest AutoCAD files. I only have the demo yet.

Re: AutoCAD 2014 Files using V24, V25, V26 - Files not opening or have problems

AutoCAD is a pain that way I just have my stuff saved as dxf. And I have some AutoCAD files that come in I can't open with AutoCAd I have them save them as dxf life is easy that way

Yeah. Finding that out too. Weird thing is though that until now, I've been able to open anything with DWG extension. Even from customers. I'm thinking it's something BobCAD may have to look at because it IS suppose to open DWG files. Just wasn't sure if it was looked at in V25 or V26 as far as an update.

Tried a few more things with AutoCAD 2014. Seems saving it in ANY prevoius DWG format does not work. Kind of irritating. Anyone have this issue on V26? Interested in hearing before I consider upgrading finally. Does it work in V26 at all?

We are running Autocad 2012 and have no issue opening DWG or DXF files in Bobcad V26. My assumption is Autocad did something to the file formats in 2014 that they did not communicate to outside vendors.

Yes, I'm sure that's the case. We also just found out yesterday even DXF files saved in AutoCAD 2014 will not open. We have to save them in 2010 format DXF for them to work properly.

I have always fount that Acad is downward compatible with older version files, but if I have a problem the other way, is to use the A9convertor, it has worked for me every time, nice little free program.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al. Was trying to give it a try, but can't find it to download anymore. Only version that was out there was V1.0 and company says they no longer work on that program

Seems to be a few sites where it is downloadable from?
    Thank you for downloading A9Converter from CNET Download.com
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, I think he was hoping that A9 converter would convert 2014 files.

Tony, Autodesk doesn't publish the format of the .dwg file, so it typically takes a version or two to be able to support it. I think most CAM companies are members of the Open Design Alliance, which supplies code to read and write .dwg file formats.
    Open Design Alliance

If you need to take AutoCAD drawings into a CAD program, you're almost always better off using an older version, as they tend to work better across a wider range of applications.

While Autodesk publishes the .dxf format, it still takes a version or two for the CAM companies to catch up. There's not a lot of incentive for them to write a new .dxf importer, when you can export several versions back from AutoCAD and those older versions tend to work as well or better than newer ones with regard to compatibility.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have them save it as an .iges file.

BobCAM can open .iges files which are solid model files.

Tom