585,974 active members*
4,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Is my screen on the way out or a board? (6t)

Is my screen on the way out or a board? (6t)

Guys
    My CRT has started to get dull then bright ( normal brightness) the dull. You get the idea. The other day I ran 3 parts in a row with nothing visable on the screen at all. Started to get worse and worse lately. I have also had rs232 problems so not sure if the CRT/puncher card runs both parts of the machine.

Would consider a LCD retrofit if the CRT is stuffed but if a card is stuffed then a new screen won't help.

Is what I am experiencing typically of the symptoms experienced when the CRT is about to die?

Cheers.

Re: Is my screen on the way out or a board? (6t)

We might have an CRT to sell from an bridgeport 412

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

On that control the display is most likely the problem; the board does not send brightness info. Pick on up on eBay.

Check the power line going to the monitor. If that is good, you might look for the brightness control - I'm not familiar with the Fanuc 6 controls but I do know on my 11m there is a brightness control on one of the boards in the monitor cage. It could be that the potentiometer for brightness has oxidized a bit. I have an old record player with this problem. When the sound starts to wobble I just pop the bottom off, crank the potentiometer through its full range a couple of times and then set it back to where the sound is in tune again and wala I'm good for another couple of years. Good luck. Let us know what you finally determine.

If its cyclic, probably just a failed capacitor. Common on old monitors. Look for a swollen top on the caps.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the caps they seem fine. I found 2 pots as seen above in the pic. The top one is the brightness so gave that a sweep through its range a few times and will keep an eye on it maybe it was that simple.

Ran the machine for most of the afternoon yesterday and unfortunately it seems to be still playing up

What is the next step to working out what LCD screen I need to do a retrofit?

Sorry to hear.. This place sells LCD replacements CNC Repair with engineering excellence since 1988 If you do end up buying one please post a review.

Given I am only a hobby user and I only paid 1000$ for the lathe I don't really want to fork out a couple of grand just for a screen.
    Hoping for a DIY fix if anyone has a starting point that would be great

I hear you there. I'm mostly a hobbyist machinist myself. I do enough work that the machine support themselves plus a little extra. I had a buddy call up the cnc repair place. He said that they were pretty willing to talk to him and offer suggestions as to what to look at before he sent them his boards (he ended up getting a drive board repaired). Might not hurt to try calling them up though I realize the phone bill might be somewhat pricey.