584,814 active members*
5,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > BF46TC copy vs IHCNC, Bolton, or AR Tools - large table RF clone: What would you do?

BF46TC copy vs IHCNC, Bolton, or AR Tools - large table RF clone: What would you do?

Howdy Gang,

Waddell here, longtime lurker, first time poster.

Looking to pull the trigger on a benchtop machine that will be cnc'd. I have a couple parts that I want to, medium quantity, mass produce that are the 23 to 26" length range.
    My preference leans toward a larger table and associated travel (9 x 39") machine to do these in a single setup.

The (3) RF clones I mention are in the $2300+ range, bare bones.

I have an opportunity to obtain a Optimum BF46TC Vario clone aka Opti or TopTech here in the U.S. at a price significantly lower than what Grainer's basic BF46 is priced.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the BF46TC, it comes standard with one shot oiling, pneumatic drawbar, ISO 40 spindle, 3hp spindle motor, CNC prepared etc.

A fair amount of time and $$$ could be expended to bring any of the RF clones on par with the Opti/TopTech. One question is: Is the BF46TC worth nearly twice the price of a bare bones RF and then having to bring it up to par?

One drawback with the BF46 is that it only comes with a smaller 33" table.

Is the quality of the BF machine and the equipment listed worth the money?

Ballscrews and control system are a moot point, they have to be purchased either way.

What would you do?

Thx,
    Waddell.

Re: BF46TC copy vs IHCNC, Bolton, or AR Tools - large table RF clone: What would you

Quote Originally Posted by waddell View Post
    Howdy Gang,

Waddell here, longtime lurker, first time poster.

Looking to pull the trigger on a benchtop machine that will be cnc'd. I have a couple parts that I want to, medium quantity, mass produce that are the 23 to 26" length range.
    My preference leans toward a larger table and associated travel (9 x 39") machine to do these in a single setup.

The (3) RF clones I mention are in the $2300+ range, bare bones.

I have an opportunity to obtain a Optimum BF46TC Vario clone aka Opti or TopTech here in the U.S. at a price significantly lower than what Grainer's basic BF46 is priced.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the BF46TC, it comes standard with one shot oiling, pneumatic drawbar, ISO 40 spindle, 3hp spindle motor, CNC prepared etc.

A fair amount of time and $$$ could be expended to bring any of the RF clones on par with the Opti/TopTech. One question is: Is the BF46TC worth nearly twice the price of a bare bones RF and then having to bring it up to par?

One drawback with the BF46 is that it only comes with a smaller 33" table.

Is the quality of the BF machine and the equipment listed worth the money?

Ballscrews and control system are a moot point, they have to be purchased either way.

What would you do?

Thx,
    Waddell.
    Well If I where going for a machine that cost in that range. I would just pull the trigger as you say on a PCNC 770 or even step up to a 1100 no question about quality and you can spend all your time making parts and.
    Good luck
    CH

Re: BF46TC copy vs IHCNC, Bolton, or AR Tools - large table RF clone: What would you

CH,
    You have a point there, as far as machine quality, but the both Tormach machines are smaller than I would prefer let alone there would be about a $3500 gap to fill to step up to the 1100.

Other people have turned each of the mentioned machines into more than decent cnc rigs for reasonable effort and cost.

I have the other half that's ever present to remind me this is a hobby. :-(

Yes, converting a machine is a hobby in and of itself .. I am living proof of that.
    Not saying there isn't some who've made money with their converted machines, but I would guess that most probably have not.

I started my conversion in March of 2010 (Bolton ZX45) & it's still not complete .. but hey it's a hobby right?
    As far as cost .. I have added some extra features which added to the cost. But I've also had to re-work several parts after the initial build to acquire a reasonable measure of reliability & tolerance.

Cost? .. Well, uh, truth is, I quit counting .. hey it's a hobby right?
    I've spent a lot, learned a lot, & had a great time over the last 4 years designing, building, working on, & using my machine .. which is my hobby!

If I wanted a CNC Mill to make some money with .. I would not even consider a conversion .. I would buy a Tormach or Novakon and start making some chips. The one issue I can see is the need for 26" of travel .. that's going to limit your selection to a few machines as far as I know. Most of the 45 Class machines won't do that with the exception of the IH or MTW Clone. Not even sure if the Novakon or Tormach will give you that much travel???

Best of luck on your endeavor which ever way you go ..

Gary

Well, the BF would be brand new with a $3700+shipping price tag.

Most of the longer ( 23 - 26") pieces that I want to do at the moment would involve mainly profiling so the tippy long table isn't such a concern there but I get your point.

Yeah, the heavier castings of the BF is a bonus, that and the price includes one shot oiling, variable speed spindle motor and air op drawbar.
    Also, they say although the BFs are manufactured in china, they use german castings. Whatever that means?

Tommy at IH says he's been concerned for a while now and has been battling with the chinese because their machines are coming in around 760 - 780lbs, getting lighter all the time.

I'm torn!
    Waddell

I'd say go for it, if it's production you want then haunt the auction houses.
    Otherwise, 1/3 of a tonne, single phase is about as good as it gets for most home users.

Quote Originally Posted by waddell View Post
    Tommy at IH says he's been concerned for a while now and has been battling with the chinese because their machines are coming in around 760 - 780lbs, getting lighter all the time.
    Tommy hasn't been involved with IH for quite a wjhile now, has he? Also, the company name has changed from IH to Charter Oak, I believe.

Mike

Michael,
    Although IH/Charter Oak has changed hands and Tommy is no longer an owner, he is still involved as the shop foreman.

Anyhow, I've since changed directions, totally.
    Came across a Bridgeport EZ Trak and am embarking down that path.

Thanks for the update and it's good to hear that Tommy is still involved. Have fun with your BP.