585,778 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Probing half a circle in MB56

Probing half a circle in MB56

Ran into a part today and found it would really be handy to be able to use the probe measure a semicircle.

I can do the math from three points, so I can just have the probe set unused offsets to hold the data I need, but I don't know how to drive it (or calibrate it) at angles. I can do so in the Haas, I can't imagine that our MB-56 can't do it as well.

I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

P200 controller.

Re: Probing half a circle in MB56

You can use the old G31 skip functtion if you have the option. Skip positions are saved on VSAP(X), VSAP(Y) etc.., Bill (AngelW) has one superb macro here exactly just for that, you can check his earlier posts. The program is in Fanuc macro format but can be tweaked a little to work on an Okuma.

Uly

Re: Probing half a circle in MB56

Well thanks! I was hoping for a simple way to use the pre tested routines that came with the machine, only one that runs at an angle. I had never heard of the G31, I looked it up in the machines manual, it was in the programming books GCode chart, I couldn't find any other documentation. If the machine can run with a G31, I will learn more on the go about it. Thanks for the tip about anglew's post, I had it coded and tested in another language already, but we are using the ~same algorithm for a circle from three points!