584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Skilled Machinists are getting hard to find.

Skilled Machinists are getting hard to find.

I have been in the trade for a while and have noticed that in the past few years that I have observed that the people who hire new machinists say they are having trouble finding qualified workers. Over the years it has been common for people to start out in sand and debur and then work their way onto a machining job. There are always people who want to come in off the street and get onto a machine and then others who work for a week in another section of the shop and say "I can do that now pay me more to do it" ! I have seen people come through who are younger people (Which the industry needs) who have said they could do everything (having one year experience) and when they come and work they know not much at all. I understand that some people will exaggerate their skill level either to land a job or because they actually believe what they are saying having high confidence. These kinds have created issues in the places around town and I hear all over. I also have seen that unlike times past that new fellows often do not wish to buy much in the area of tools, tool boxes, and so on. The ones who stay often get around to it and I know it is tighten up your budget kinds of times we live in for guys starting out. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences about this. One survey has been done on "The Skills Gap" and it could be said all of the things listed are correct yet I was wondering what things in "The Other Catagory" may be expressed. God Bless I look forward to any comments.:violin::violin::cheers:

Re: Skilled Machinists are getting hard to find.

We have an apprenticeship to bring new machinist up. Every one of our guys can run Bridgeport's to edms to machining centers. Not an easy apprenticeship to get in to either. Lots of aptitude tests. More importantly, we do no production, and a very stable company.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Re: Skilled Machinists are getting hard to find.

Yes I have heard that this is being done. A school teaching the trade is a good way for people to learn if they would not test so high on such aptitude tests. A diamond in the raw can be found either way I am sure. Good to hear someone is training new people.