584,833 active members*
5,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis
Page 3 of 11 12345

Re: Torus Pro with servos and 4th axis

Great vid! When mine was delivered there was a similar problem with the liftgate. What that driver did was call im another truck. They parked back to back, put the crate on both lifts at once, and lowered it that way. I thought it was pretty clever.

That's a very interesting way to get it down! I wouldn't have thought of that. The only option he came up with was to come back monday with a bigger truck. I didn't do anything with the mill on sat or sun, but at least it was here!! lol
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

Delivery = Drama!
    How exciting it is to get some new iron!
    I looked at your cad work a while back and was thinking this guy has some skills.
    md

Thank you mountaindew! I appreciate the compliment. I'm like the old saying.... "Jack of all trades, master of none". I get good enough to get by and do what I want, but there's very little that I have actually mastered.

I'm hoping to play around on CAD some this next week. We're going to vegas, but there should be a lot of veg time in the suite during the week.
    Mike

Good call on their part to have the Smooth Stepper option. I've been using one for a while and I believe it helps a lot.

I'm really curious to see it running. They haven't sent me any info about it......they just said I will really like it.

I'm seriously considering one for my small cnc lathe with steppers. The computer I put on it is way better than what it came with, but I think I can get a lot more out of it with a smooth stepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Good call on their part to have the Smooth Stepper option.
    I must have missed something...maybe it was in the Youtube video, that century link (my ISP) will not let me watch.

Is Novakon now offering ESS as an option to their machine builds? That would be a nice move, IMHO.

Would be nice if they updated their website about things like that, the "new" Torus Pro enclosure option, etc., so these sort of choices don't rely on word-of-mouth, chance hearing of available options.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    I'm really curious to see it running. They haven't sent me any info about it......they just said I will really like it.

I'm seriously considering one for my small cnc lathe with steppers. The computer I put on it is way better than what it came with, but I think I can get a lot more out of it with a smooth stepper.
    On a servo machine, you really won't notice much, if any difference, other than it might enable faster rapids. It will allow stepper machines to do faster rapids, due to the much more stable and consistent step pulse timing. The servo machines are really not terribly sensitive to jitter in the step pulse timing.

Novakon is adding the SS mostly to "prepare" for Mach4, and the eventual demise of PC parallel ports, and to provide additional I/Os for a number of upcoming new accessories.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Oh I see, OK.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Novakon is adding the SS mostly to "prepare" for Mach4....
    Ethernet or USB?

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Ethernet or USB?
    Ethernet is generally considered more robust.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yep....it's ethernet. It's right behind the BOB at about 12:05 in the vid.

They seem to be a bit short staffed to handle everything at once. There's a manual in the works for the new stand, but it's still going to be a bit. That's part of my motivation to shoot so much vid as I'm going......so people can check out some of the nitty gritty stuff between now and the time they update their site. Let me know if you want to see something specific...I'll see what I can do.

I'm not expecting much of a diff if any with the servos, but it does have me setup to use a laptop if this mother board ever dies.

Nice videos. It looks as if the PDB was shipped Fedex to Toronto and then reshipped. I'm wondering if just having them sent directly to US customers would save some costs. Same with the ATC when it's available.

Keep the videos coming. This is great stuff. I would like to see some more close-ups of the stand. That is one of the selling points to me; I really like the design on this and the Pulser Pro stand; seems like it does a much better job of sending the chips to the right place. I like that there isn't as much flat surface for coolant to pool into, and a nice large trough down the middle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Novakon_Stand.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	240218

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    It looks as if the PDB was shipped Fedex to Toronto and then reshipped. I'm wondering if just having them sent directly to US customers would save some costs.
    How about it Ray? Are you making this stuff locally, or did you farm it out? Crazy to ship it outside the country and than back.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    How about it Ray? Are you making this stuff locally, or did you farm it out? Crazy to ship it outside the country and than back.
    There's nothing crazy about it. Ya know, we're not stupid.... Everything I sell is manufactured here, by me, on my Torus Pro. I ship units in bulk to Novakon, so they can ship to Canada, and install on any machines before they go out. There is no additional cost for this "extra" shipping, as it can be included in the crate with the machine for very little or no additional cost. I hold some units, here, and if a US customer buys an after-sale "upgrade", I drop ship to them directly from here.

Regards.
    Ray L.

that sounds reasonable.

yep....they had it all figured out. The shipping was a big reason that I ordered some of the upgrades that I did. If I ordered the 4th axis later, I would have had to pay the shipping. Since it came in the crate with the pro, it didn't change the shipping at all. I saved hundreds on shipping by buying the upgrades from the start. The also installed everything except for the power drawbar....saved me a bunch of time and grief too!!!

I talked to Ray before I placed the order. He explained the way they were doing the PB's.......had he sent it to me, it would have cost more because of shipping.....coming in the crate, shipping was free! I thought that was a great arrangement they figured out. Made complete sense. I bought the new stand based on Ray's recommendation. I'm really, really glad I did!!! It was worth the wait! With Ray confirming that he makes them in-house with his Pro.....I'm getting even more excited about what this machine will do!! Now all I need is all the experience and expertise that Ray has! LOL!! Very impressive Ray!!! Thank you!!

tmarks11....Thank you! I have an idea or two for the stand, so you will definitely see some more of it. I'll try to shoot some more details on it as I put the trays on it.

Page 3 of 11 12345