585,705 active members*
3,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM-135 OWNERS: How to access Y stepper?

Question NM-135 OWNERS: How to access Y stepper?

My Y-stepper has problems: 1) the output side of the flexible coupling is missing both screws (yet somehow, it doesn't slip. mostly), and, 2) one of the jam nuts has become un-jammed, resulting in meh backlash.

How to I get access to the y-stepper coupling?

- from the front is a No.
    - from the back: remove the electronics box (there are two boxes actually, stacked), which requires disconnecting 10 or 15 wires, and removing some big iron bracket... but this still looks like it will provide poor access to the y-stepper.
    - remove the 4 giant cap screws holding the z-axis on, and get myself a hoist, chisel throught the 1/8" thick paint, and lift. By my reckoning, the y-stepper and all couplings should be lying there fully exposed.

If anyone's done this, please let me know.

Re: NM-135 OWNERS: How to access Y stepper?

Can you post some pictures?

On my Torus (NM-145) the Y-axis motor sticks out a large amount at the rear of the mill, so the access to the motor and coupling is pretty good.

I did some searching and there is almost nothing out there showing pictures of the NM-135.

I did find the one shown below. Does yours look like this?

Attachment 458610

Have you tried to contact John at Novakon?

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    Can you post some pictures?

On my Torus (NM-145) the Y-axis motor sticks out a large amount at the rear of the mill, so the access to the motor and coupling is pretty good.
    Your picture looks similar to my NM135, but the electronics box has all it's connectors on the side, not on the back as shown in the picture.

I think Torus has z-stepper at the top? NM-135 has z-stepper at the bottom, right overtop of, and covering, the y-stepper.
    I'll post some pictures, but alas, I think the column needs to be unbolted and hoisted away from the base - alot of work (including cutting about 20 wires and splicing in connectors, so the electronics box can be removed entirely). Then I need to build a gantry crane (lumber prices have doubled from a year ago) for the hoisting, then figger out how to grab/strap the column for hoisting (the head will move the z-screw if I just grab it and lift). Bah...

Quote Originally Posted by Frogblender View Post
    I think Torus has z-stepper at the top? NM-135 has z-stepper at the bottom, right overtop of, and covering, the y-stepper.
    My Torus/NM-145 does have the Z stepper on top. Your Z motor is at the bottom? Yikes.

I'll post some pictures, but alas, I think the column needs to be unbolted and hoisted away from the base - alot of work (including cutting about 20 wires and splicing in connectors, so the electronics box can be removed entirely). Then I need to build a gantry crane (lumber prices have doubled from a year ago) for the hoisting, then figger out how to grab/strap the column for hoisting (the head will move the z-screw if I just grab it and lift). Bah...
    That sounds like fun. What a friggin nightmare just to get access to the Y motor coupler.

Definitely take lots of pictures and post them. Like you found out, there is little information out there on the NM-135.

If you can get John to respond maybe he will have some insight or tips to make the job go easier.