584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

choice of laser controller and software

I'm working on building a new lasermachine. The mechanical part will be based on the Lasersaur project, but since their controller does not support engraving I'm looking into alternatives for the controller.
    For as far as I understand there are three major players.
    Ruida (RD320), working with RDCam software. I already own a Shenhui 350, this is using this controller. Works OK but the RDCam software is not the most stable.
    Then there is Leetro, several models, as far as I know all use Lasercut software.
    And there is the AWC608. Don't know a brand name linked to this one, nor what software it uses. I think it's Laserworks and that;s supposed to be more or less the same as RDCam but I'm not sure.
    Of course there are more options, but these are the three that seems to come up most in my searches.

Can anybody tell me more about the differences between these options. Mainly the software as I believe all three do a similar well job on the hardware side.
    I've read somewhere that the AWC is superior in engraving, but I can;t find that post anymore.

Thanks,

Arjen

Re: choice of laser controller and software

Leetro is best known. About 70-75% chinese machines uses Leetro.
    In my opinion Lasersaur is the worst choice.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Do you know if it is possible to find a demo version of the Leetro software so I can compare it with RDCam?
    And regarding Lasersaur being the worst choice, do you mean the software/controller part or Lasersaur in general?

No. There is no demo LaserCut.
    I ment Lasersaur mechanical.
    Lasersaur is made the way how 10 years old boy can imagine how laser machine should looks like.
    But he never build any working machine at all so he started with google graphics.
    They saw few chinese laser machine pictures and duplicated all possible faults.
    And addeed few.

Mmmm... I know a few people who build one and they are happy with it. But if you think it's such a bad design I take it you can suggest a better design?

BTW, this topic is about software and controllers, I'll open another topic on mechanics if you want to elaborate.

Tnx,

A

BTW, I just downloaded Lasercut 6.0 and it does have a demo version.

Quote Originally Posted by arjena View Post
    Mmmm... I know a few people who build one and they are happy with it. But if you think it's such a bad design I take it you can suggest a better design?
    BTW, this topic is about software and controllers, I'll open another topic on mechanics if you want to elaborate.
    I wrote about this design long ago.

That may be true, nut that was probably before I joined this forum. A link to your write-up is appreciated...

And now maybe back on topic?

Cheers,

Arjen

Good thread. Good info.

So that sort of leaves only two to choose from. As only one of the brands I mentioned uses a dongle (and I have always wondered why)...
    So Lasercad is the software used for the AWC608? Is there a demo somewhere so I can compare it to RDCam (the software I now use for my Shenhui machine)?
    Since I do my dayjob on a Mac, I also design on a Mac so I will always have to transfer my designs to the PC attached to the Laser. I don't really mind. Any information on which file types can be imported into the software?
    Does the AWC608 come with an ethernet port?

Thanks

So that sort of leaves only two to choose from. As only one of the brands I mentioned uses a dongle (and I have always wondered why)...
    So Lasercad is the software used for the AWC608? Is there a demo somewhere so I can compare it to RDCam (the software I now use for my Shenhui machine)?
    Since I do my dayjob on a Mac, I also design on a Mac so I will always have to transfer my designs to the PC attached to the Laser. I don't really mind. Any information on which file types can be imported into the software?
    Does the AWC608 come with an ethernet port?

Thanks
    Where I can control it where possible I would not buy anything that requires a dongle.

Your only going to be doing 2d work which are line cuts or engraving. Lasercad is awesome, not buggy, lightweight and a plugin is available for coreldraw.

AWC608 also has a feature where you can control the pulses which is handy.

You draw what you want in coreldraw, click on the button and it takes what you have drawn up straight into lasercad.

Its that simple. visit sinjoe laser website they have a download section.

This setup I have now is much faster working on my main win 7 computer instead of a designated xp computer running
    around transferring files and so on.

Yes I believe the AWC608 has an ethernet port.

Yes,
    We do use RD CAM and Leetro most for the current !
    RD is OK no need dongle with LCD panel showing the current cutting vector, leetro some times has problems but can be fix (long history) .
    we are looking forward any improvements on controller too.
    Regards,Mary

Quote Originally Posted by EXLASer View Post
    Yes,
    We do use RD CAM and Leetro most for the current !
    RD is OK no need dongle with LCD panel showing the current cutting vector, leetro some times has problems but can be fix (long history) .
    we are looking forward any improvements on controller too.
    Regards,Mary
    Does Rdcam have ppi?

Mine does not. But than again I don't know if that's such a bad thing. So far I have not missed it...
    I downloaded LaserCad and it looks very similar to RDCam. apart from the ppi and some interface things I guess it's the same.

Cheers,

A

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Leetro is best known. About 70-75% chinese machines uses Leetro.
    In my opinion Lasersaur is the worst choice.
    Just a question?

Have you used this system?

Do you know if it is possible to find a demo version of the Leetro software so I can compare it with RDCam?
    And regarding Lasersaur being the worst choice, do you mean the software/controller part or Lasersaur in general?
    How can you trial software that requires a dongle to
    Operate. Your choice is going to be very interesting.

As a matter of fact, when you download the Lasercut software there is also a demo version included. Of course you can only simulate operating a machine with that, because all this software (with or without dongle protection) is useless without the matching hardware. Why anyone can ever feel dongle protection is needed on hardware specific software is beyond me, so that's one big minus for Leetro in my opinion.
    But at least you get a feel of it's user interface and such. Not very different to RDCam or Lasercad.
    What it does not do is give any info about how it behaves in real life. That's why I posted this topic, to get experiences from people who actually use the software combined with the matching hardware.
    So far I'm leaning towards the AWC608. Mainly because of the ethernet option on that one.
    But I'm not in any hurry, so I keep an open mind. ;-)

Why anyone can ever feel dongle protection is needed on hardware specific software is beyond me, so that's one big minus for Leetro in my opinion.
    Certainly agree with this statement.

However I had heard that the dongle requirement has been dropped in the latest versions. Any one know if this is correct?

I downloaded what I believe is the latest version (6.0) , When I open it the software asks for a 'softdog' to be plugged in. I assume that's the dongle...

OK I guess I heard wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12