586,005 active members*
4,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

If you were buying a lathe, would you???

Hi. Man. I have been caught up in this CNC stuff good and proper now. How many of you guys have wives and children who smile and all make the appropriate noises when you make something new with your CNC router or lathe?

Anyway what I am after is some advice. I used to be a machinery importer and I need a lathe to make some bits and pieces for my CNC router. I don't have enough money to invest in a decent lathe but have managed to secure/borrow a bit of cash to purchase a bunch of bench size (650mm centre) lathes, and a few lathe/mill combinations from a good factory. I will sell them at a small margin to pay for mine and only that. Then 6 people get a great piece of kit for cheap and I get mine for all the work. Research has been done. Machines have been sourced with quality and price in mind.

Questions - and serious ones. Do I buy these with all the optional additions for people hoping they will take them? You see I don't want to end up with a bunch of stands, live centres, drill chucks, milling chucks, additional gears, 4 jaw chucks, rotary tables. So guys - please can you respond. If you were buying a great deal machine would you buy it with all accessories? I'm kinda going to count the replies and hope I don't end up with a pile of lathe parts. Or I suppose I could just get some of the accessories and first in first served. Anyone? What do you think? Regards Boyd

Re: If you were buying a lathe, would you???

> a bunch of bench size (650mm centre) lathes, and a few lathe/mill combinations from a good factory.
    And where is the factory? China? Serious Q as it will influence the answers.

> lathe/mill combos
    Very debatable. Usually toys.

> bunch of stands,
    Probably not. Many have benches already.

> live centres,
    Desirable, but how good are they?

> drill chucks,
    Chinese? How good? very cheap.

> milling chucks,
    What sort?

> additional gears,
    Um - what for?

> 4 jaw chucks,
    One would normally expect one to come with the lathe

> rotary tables.
    Brand? Chinese?

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6128CroppedE.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	231274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB25-3LCropped.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	231276

Hi. I attached a couple of pictures of the two. Yes Chinese. But I have looked pretty hard around NZ to find everything under 5k is Chinese. And even the same machines as the ones I am going to buy in but these landed are only going to be $2000 and $2500 with everything listed inclusive of my margin. Cheap and half price from what I have seen in NZ shops.

But the stands are $100, the chucks $20, Live centres $20, Mill collet 7pc ER32 $70, gears will be for the combi machine to avoid the lathe gears being used in the mill for same speed $70, 4 jaw chuck for the combi $90, steady rests $50 etc. All of this can be taken off the above prices. Worried I will end up with boxes of stands etc!

Remember these are factory prices here and the gear is the same as what a lot of retailers sell in the home workshop market. But I just don't want to end up with a whole lot of pieces of kit that guys wont want so am keen to hear what you think. Like I can just get these machines in without any extras and they will be very very cheap with only my margin to pay for one for me. But then a 4 jaw chuck here is $250-$400? Know what I mean?

I am a woodworker converting to metalwork. Keen to hear back from you.

New Zealand ... better ask the Kiwis.
    I will have to pass.

Cheers