585,715 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Made my first vacuum fixture..

Made my first vacuum fixture..

So I have a part made from .5" thick HDPE that gets machined down to .2 thick. I was able to hold it with the talon jaw vise, but by the time I flipped the part to machine secondary features, the plastic was getting pretty thin and floppy. Although I could make the part, surface finish and tolerances get worse as the vibration increased. So I designed a fixture that was the negative, of the first side of the part. A deeper pocket (vacuum volume) with vertical support pins keep the part flat under vacuum. Then thread milled some NPT holes for the PVC. Now I needed a vacuum source. So I rigged my shop vac (one of the smallest ones Rigid makes I think) up to the PVC. I can't find any specs on how much vacuum it can pull, but it felt pretty good "by feel". I new this would be the risky part of not having enough hold down force. I caught one edge that lifted and broke vacuum at 110"/min and ~.15" deep with a .5" end mill. I slowed it down to 60 and everything ran great, so i made four more. I'll eventually get a dedicated blower/pump and bump the speeds up. I've found some bypass blowers (don't depend on flow through to cool the motor) that can pull 120" H20 for under $100.00. If my leak rate is low enough, I could go with a diaphragm pump. Shot some video between too changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khni...ature=youtu.be

Re: Made my first vacuum fixture..

Very NICE! Thanks for sharing!

Nice part too!
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Very nice! A vacuum table with replaceable "inserts" is one of the many things on my ToDo list for someday.

Get a real vacuum pump, as used for automotive air conditionig system charging. They're under $200 from Harbor Freight, E-Bay, etc.. Then make a reservoir using large diameter PVC pipe fittings. You can get narrow, soft, closed-cell foam to seal around the part - put a small channel in the plate to hold the seal in place. You can also use the "spline" used on window screens - some are smooth surfaced, soft, closed-cell material. I don't think the more common ribbed type would work well. It's dirt cheap, at about $70 for 3000 feet.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Looks great. Nice thinking on the jig as well.
    I am installing a couple Mini- Split heat pumps in my house and invested in a Robinar pump rather than have them Pro installed just for occasion where I may need a good vacuum fixture. I have thought there may be a very real need for such a pump in the future and you just proved out the theory for me.

What size pump are you using? Mine is a 5 cfm.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Looks great. Nice thinking on the jig as well.
    I am installing a couple Mini- Split heat pumps in my house and invested in a Robinar pump rather than have them Pro installed just for occasion where I may need a good vacuum fixture. I have thought there may be a very real need for such a pump in the future and you just proved out the theory for me.

What size pump are you using? Mine is a 5 cfm.

Thanks,
    I'm using a small Rigid brand shop VAC. Cant find any specs on it. I'm going to make a manometer and measure the dead headed vacuum level and work from there. For now my shop Vac is free :-). I also just found another use for my vac plate without the need for modification. My Son is about to graduate college and had to come up with a final project. He is making a solder re-flow oven from a used toaster oven. He's using an Arduino micro and some sensors/relays/fans to controller the temperature ramp cycle. His proto is done, but he wants to clean up all the wiring by making a circuit board. Turns out the Vac plate is perfect. I ran some test cuts on a single sided copper clad board using a .032" end mill and it works great !.