585,888 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Techno-Isel FB2 Gantry Router

Hi all,
    I need a bit of advice. I bought a Techno-Isel FB2 Gantry Router. It is the bare machine with no motors or controller.
    The size is X - 1000mm, Y - 1300mm, Z - 200mm (I think).
    I have a small router running the Gecko G540 stepper driver. The set up has never given me any problems so I would like to
    use the same on the FB2. I am looking at a kit on that popular auction site which has the Gecko G540, plugs, switches etc.
    It also comes with 620 oz-in stepper motors. Before I buy it I would like opinions of those that know more than me as to the
    suitability of these stepper's. I.E.- too big, too small, just right etc.
    Any input/info is appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Steve.

I just retrofitted a techno davinci with a g540 and 270oz/in motors. It works great and looks close to stock too!

Techno's have around a 5mm/revolution pitch for the most part. You would need around a 270 to 350 oz/in stepper motor. That would get you speed as well as power.

Those higher holding torque motors loose lots of power when spinning and need a voltage greater than what the gecko can handle to get the advertised holding torque. I would stick with a motor designed for the voltage and current range of the gecko (48v).
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Re: Techno-Isel FB2 Gantry Router

Thanks Pplug,
    I have bought 3 Nema 23 387 oz-in steppers. The spec's on them are 50v max, 3.5 a, 2.8mH so should be a perfect match for the G540.
    I took me for ever to find any info online regarding stepper size on the FB2 but eventually I did. The standard factory steppers are 150 oz-in so the 387"s
    should work well.

I think you made an excellent choice for your stepper motors. You should be very happy with the performance. I know the little davinci I retrofitted is light years faster after replacing the controller and motors, yours should be the same.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

i have a fb2
    the bars that poke through the sides are end stop triggers
    you have built in switches on the non motor ends
    the original limit switches sit on the motor mount

Thanks for that. The small rods that poke thru did have me baffled for a little while. Then when I dissassembled it to check everything
    I found out what they are. Unfortunately whoever dissconnected the controller also ripped the wires off most of the micro switches so, I
    Am just going to start from scratch and fit my own.
    Haven't quite finished the shed so the FB2 isn't operating yet. Just bought the new G540 kit of a guy named Vince from the States.
    Great bloke really helpful and decent prices.
    "thesignworks" your entire post didn't show in the forum but did in my Hotmail inbox. I have worked around the different mounting pattern
    and all steppers are now mounted and waiting for everything else to be fitted.

I also have a FB2 Gantry, Model 130, that I retrofitted with the Gecko G540 and three 387 in oz steppers. I found the flexible spider in one of the motor couplers was worn so I replaced all three.

My machine also had the wiring for the limit switches removed near the motor mounts. By looking at the wiring diagram in the Techno Manual I saw how the limit switches worked for each axis. I was able to install new connectors for wiring directly back to the G540 controller. I wired all the limit switches in series onto one G540 input. The limit switches worked once again. If you have any difficulty wiring your up, let me know and I will share what I have in the way of wiring notes.

I think they are excellent machines.

Bob