585,987 active members*
4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 5T ERROR 20

I am stumped! I have recently gone back in time for the pleasure of setting up and programming the Fanuc 5T control. Everything seems to work fine on the machines exept for the error I receive when using posted code that generates small blend arcs and radius. The same code, (formatted) will run fine on our Fanuc 6t and 21t. I have duplicated this error with a simple face edge break. G00X10989Z-677, G02X7718Z0I-1635K-1635F100. Now here is what stumps me. G00X11281Z-824, G02X7304Z0I-1989K-1989 runs fine, no error. Any experience out there?

A P/S alarm of 20 means:

"End point of circular interpolation is out of admissible region"

pursuant to the error chart on page 57 of the B-51695E/04 "Fanuc System 5T Maintenance Manual".

Thank you for that information. I am aware of what the error is, I am needing to understand why the machine will except simular code ( arc's ) but not all code.

Different software algorithms might be being used in one model versus the other.

You may also have some machine specific limitations that were/were not programmed into your 5T's machine's software proms by the OEM. There was both a "normal" and "optional" G code set provided for the 5T's.

Not all of the "options" listed in the Fanuc 5T parameter charts are/were actually burned into the software proms. Thus, even though you may "turn them on" by setting proms, that don't mean that they'll work - it all depends what the OEM contracted with Fanuc to provide way back when they burned and plugged in the PROMS....

Although ALL the A and B boards are supposedly identical on the 5T's and some 5M's, the software burned into the proms determined if any/all features the controller was capable of doing, did ACTUALLY work on any particular machine.

Keep in mind that you many also be up against a software limit issue that isn't documented. We see that sort of thing all the time on the same identical G code we try to run in one controller (it works) that doesn't work in another.

We chalk it up to the perverse nature of inanimate objects.

Edit: the following "standard" codes are all OPTIONAL at the discretion of the OEM per the B51694E/05 Operator's Manual:

G20, G21, G27, G28, G40, G41, G42, Some G50's, all G70's, and G90 thru G97.

20 and 21 are inch and metric data input specifically. If you DON'T have that option or it isn't "on" in parameter list, you'll get an error.

Thanks for the additional information on the 5t control. I'm feeling new wrinkles in my grey matter. It's a plus to have someone available to talk about them! The two machine's in question, operate in all other aspects, normally. I have edited several programs, removing the small blend arc's and they run fine.
    G00X10989Z-677, G02X7718Z0I-1635K-1635F100, creates an error 20
    G00X11281Z-824, G02X7304Z0I-1989K-1989F100, runs fine, no error.
    A close look at this code shows that the only difference between the two lines is the one that causes an alarm has a .1635 Radius and the other one that works has a .1989 Radius. Both created using the same proven post file and compared to the code posted for a 0T control. I can 't imagine the limits on these machines being as large as .1635, but I've seem stranger things before. I've had to step away from this project and cover for vacationing employee's. When I get back on it, i will try some more tests.

Hi Alduns, Got a old mazak microturn with Fanuc 5t in great working conditions.
    Desperatelly need a simple Pc communication program. Anu suggestion ?
    TNX Karolg

Hey, there's a couple of options. See similar posts on this forum:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=380

J