585,948 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: materials

Post materials

any1 got some actual list or source listing 'all' metals,irons or maybe even materials for as far as possible along with some of their characteristics??
    or maybe different lists for aluminums,coppers,bronze's,steels,castirons and so on the binas's i got are way out of date

a lil documentation bout tempering would proof very usefull too i guess

i think this info would be extremely usefull for any1 using this forum

i'm aiming for something like :
    aluminum -->
    density : hardness : conductivity electr/heat : melting point : stressed
    6061 ....... ..... .. .. ..... .....

if no1 has any complete and simple enough docs. on this i'ld be willing too collect all info in a 101 that is if any info received

thx in advance guys !!i hope every1 can understand my anglish lo

c'mon guys work with me on this one i'm sure i ain't the only one always buggin the metalsupplyers with hundreds of questions before they send me home with the wrong custom cut stock

Ever heard of Google? Your metalsupplyer does'nt have to know anything about the materials they sell. The designer should know. And then there are the regional terminologies. If someone from Airbus would tell the materials used (in numbers) to someone from Boeing, they would think it was made from Kryptonite or cake!

Carel

we all know what 6061 is even the boeing company spy "working" for airbus

i guess if we started with the more common materials used for cutting, working our way down too materials suitable for bending in the mean time i'll try and find out what the american-european-asian codes are

and also all metal 'producers" do a whole variety of testing on their product before labeling and selling so i think the supplyer should atleast know what he's selling making it possible for me to get back to the plant the stokk came from and finding out specs
    ofcourse i can't even go shopping cause i don't know what to get from my supplyer anyway i know we'll never lit all materials but just a bunch would be nice

if i'm really askin too much how many are in favour of a much shorter list containing info on what properties you should look for if milling-turning-bending-casting and so on like:when milling steel use as low carbon as possible ......

and afcourse some info on hardening and materialstresses like hotroll contains less stress then coldroll making it more suitable for materialremoval .........

Materials is not about machinability. You design for function, strength, weight, chemical resistance, thermal resistance, cost, finish or whatever or whatever combination. The workshop translates this design in a product, nomatter the associated problems.

Then there is availability. If you want to make things out of uranium, you must be glad that you can lay your hands on it. If you want to design, you have to know what the function of the added elements in the basic material is. Like lead in steel, for machinability or carbon for strength. You want a broad-spectrum shopping list, without the underlying knowledge. This will result in faulty parts as you state that you buy the wrong alloys over and over again.

Materials and the use of it, is basically a science and requires a studying effort, not a "come on guys, make the list for me. Now!"

Carel

c'mon man you always crashing the feast careltje

i've been true google and i know i can find anything i need on matweb.com i use only alu and copper personally and i know all about them i need.
    all i wanted to do here is take few common things like you were saying:"Like lead in steel, for machinability or carbon for strength" and i bet there is alot more some lil hints bout how they harden and what not to do to surten carbon alloys cause you'll de-harden it blablabla like 6061 will become useless after welding and so on i said before i know we can't provide a full list but just some rules of fist that the noob can get an idea of what's possible and whats the total nono's i m sure alot a n00bz would appreciate such listings cause i'm one of them

i'm just saying we don't need the whole study but i', sure machinist got some rules
    makin it easier too get on matweb or alikes and find out what you truely need
    does any1 else but careltje think its impossible too make such list ??

Apart from acting as stepped on your little toe, you are now changing the subject. For the international community: adding of "tje" behind a name translates as "little Carel". By changing the subject I mean you diverted from your original list to hardening of carbon steels and the welding damage of heat treatet aluminium. Believe me, you can't just make everything glowing hot, throw it in the water and be done with it. It's an aquired knowledge. Somewhere in machining you get to deal with responsibility, as in "design a bridge, drive cars over it and sleep well". It's not suited for a cut and paste approach. As technology is non-political and non-emotiononal you don't have to lose your temper over this. I have said enough about this. Good day.

Carel

I know were to find that kind of list over aluminium, only one problem, it is in Swedish..