585,977 active members*
4,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Can anyone suggest a Gecko stepper motor/control to replace this servo(see picture)?

Can anyone suggest a Gecko stepper motor/control to replace this servo(see picture)?

Hi
    I am new to cnc, except that I have been reading a lot at these great forums.

I have bought myself a Weiler 120 CNC lathe from 1987, and it is sitting a Siemens Sinumerik 3 controller in it. I haven't any backup, and even if I did I don't think I would use it due to the old technology.

I took a picture of one of the servos Z axis. Do you guys think I can retrofit this lathe using Gecko 540? It also has cooling system, and automatic lubrication.

Attachment 232198

Attachment 232200Attachment 232202

Thank you!

Best regards

Chris

Re: Can anyone suggest a Gecko stepper motor/control to replace this servo(see pictur

That looks like too much for a 23-frame stepper motor (which is what the G540 works best with) to push around. I'd suggest fairly large brushed servo motors, geared down somewhat, if you want to use a Gecko drive, and a G320X servo drive.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Can anyone suggest a Gecko stepper motor/control to replace this servo(see pictur

The voltage is rated at 180V IF I read it correctly and Geckos are rated to 80V max! Not a good match for their SERVO drives as the 540 is a stepper drive and won't work in the first place.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

If the machine has the original drives and they still work you can look into k-flop and kanalog from dynomotion. They should be able to be run by these boards and give a large increase in performance over the original control.

Ben

Thank you guys for your quick reply!

I have been reading about kflop, and it seems that I would have to know how to do programming in C. I do not have such knowledge, so I don't think I would manage. I have also looked into Ajax Allin1dc link: http://www.ajaxcnc.com/images/all-in...-web-large.jpg but It is a litle bit over my budget.

Maybe a retrofitting to Gecko will end up at the same cost when everything is added. And with the Ajax I can keep the servos , encoders and run closed loop. Putting in a picture of encoder that sits with the servos.

Attachment 232320