585,775 active members*
4,358 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g203v and g251 on pc-2-route common 5v or common ground

g203v and g251 on pc-2-route common 5v or common ground

I have a pc-2-route board and 3 g203v drives and am doing a table upgrade and now need a 4th motor. I got a g251 to use for my z, and wired it up and it worked, or so it seemed. Now it is acting funny, and i re read the manual for the pc-2-route and it mentions a jumper for the logic signals to use a common ground (currently using) or common 5v. it seems that the 203 need the common ground, but the 251 needs common 5v? Why is this, and is there a way to use them both (drives) as I already bought the stuff and have it wired, and i thought working except a little noise issue, which maybe the common ground/5v difference???? Separate them?

I am thinking this board is a little dated, but with so many to choose from i dont really want to start from scratch and if i did, i would want to get a good board with newer technology, so it would not be dated soon. if no way to use both, i guess i could get another 203 and use it. I am using one control box for a plasma machine with scribe (and router very rarely) and for a benchtop mill by use of switching the motor and limit wires to different connectors via 4 pole switches. For best option, since it has been upgraded many times over and things added, i should probably build new control box 1 for each machine, but that would be quite a cost and time investment.

Alot of rambling, but any ideas?

Brian

Re: g203v and g251 on pc-2-route common 5v or common ground

Both the G203V and the G251 use a common GND reference for the step and direction signals.

The G203V has an optically isolated common reference but the G251 signal GND is electrically connected to the power ground.

If you mix G203V and G251 drives on the same controller, the electrical isolation of the G203V will be defeated by the internal signal GND to power GND connection inside the G251.

Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications

never mind, i had a hold of an old instruction manual, the new ones all have common ground, problem solved. I also had a bad connector and some noise that was not being grounded. This thread could be deleted now.

Is it still defeated if i am using a bob with opti isolated inputs?

Quote Originally Posted by morestuff View Post
    Both the G203V and the G251 use a common GND reference for the step and direction signals.

The G203V has an optically isolated common reference but the G251 signal GND is electrically connected to the power ground.

If you mix G203V and G251 drives on the same controller, the electrical isolation of the G203V will be defeated by the internal signal GND to power GND connection inside the G251.

Steve Stallings
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications