584,829 active members*
4,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deciding Between Spindles

Hey all,

I'm planning to purchase the OA-6090 machine from Ouro to use for small woodworking projects in my small office. The machine has three spindle options (in order of price, low to high):

1) Chinese-made water cooled.
    2) Chinese-made air cooled.
    3) HSD air cooled.

I'm wondering which might be best in terms of accuracy, lifespan, and suitability to a small office environment. Would an air-controled spindle be too loud, or would the sound of the actual cutting make this irrelevant? Has anyone had direct experience with this product?

Thanks!

Re: Deciding Between Spindles

HSD makes high-quality spindles in Italy; they would be the best in terms of accuracy and lifespan. Even the Chinese use them on their higher-end machines. But I'm not sure any of these spindles are really suitable to use in an office, if you want to get anything else done while they're cutting. It's not really the spindles themselves or their cooling systems that make most of the noise, but the action of the tool on the material. Then you'll probably want to run a dust collector as well, which is also noisy. Can't you rent a nearby shed, garage, basement or something to put this in?

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Andrew pulled the words right out from under my finger tips here. For the most part any of these drives would be relatively low noise producers up until you start to machine something and then the sticky stuff hits the fan. Between the cutting noises and dust extraction I can't see such a machine being used in an office environment. At best you might be able to stuff the machine into a well insulated room, but even then it would be a big distraction.

If noise is a problem; beyond having the machine in a separate room you will likely need a full enclosure to further reduce sound levels.. This doesn't even get into how dust collection is handled. Dust collectors effectively begin big vacuums have their own noise problems. You might be able to place the collector outside in some situations but that just moves the noise around.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    HSD makes high-quality spindles in Italy; they would be the best in terms of accuracy and lifespan. Even the Chinese use them on their higher-end machines. But I'm not sure any of these spindles are really suitable to use in an office, if you want to get anything else done while they're cutting. It's not really the spindles themselves or their cooling systems that make most of the noise, but the action of the tool on the material. Then you'll probably want to run a dust collector as well, which is also noisy. Can't you rent a nearby shed, garage, basement or something to put this in?

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently

Actually, fan cooled spindles can be very loud when you get close to 20,000 rpm's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)