585,930 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Benchtop Pro 2'x2' proximity switch question

Benchtop Pro 2'x2' proximity switch question

Hello,

I own the Benchtop Pro 2'x2'. This machine is homed using the proximity switches that are attached to both X axes and the Y axis.

I'd like to know how critical the placement of these switches actual is, on the X axes. For instance, I'm assuming that the switch on the left side (X axis) has to be screwed in to the end bracket the same exact distance as the switch on the right side (X axis). I used a micrometer to measure the distances on each switch to ensure that they were sticking out of the bracket at equal distances.

The reason I ask is because during assembly, it's possible to have the left and right side gantry arms placed (ball screw screwed in) at different distances from the switches. If this happens, and the left and right side are slightly off (the distance from the switches are different), will the homing take care of this difference? For example, if I press "Ref All Home", will this compensate for the difference in distance on both sides?

I would just like to be absolutely sure that I am not inadvertently running my machine with a slight twist in it, if that makes sense.

Re: Benchtop Pro 2'x2' proximity switch question

Semus,

The system is shipped with independent homing sensors for both X axes so that the machine can auto-square when homing. So you do want these switches to be sticking out close to the same amount. However, you can tweak their position slightly to adjust squareness of your gantry as necessary.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Re: Benchtop Pro 2'x2' proximity switch question

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    Semus,

The system is shipped with independent homing sensors for both X axes so that the machine can auto-square when homing. So you do want these switches to be sticking out close to the same amount. However, you can tweak their position slightly to adjust squareness of your gantry as necessary.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts
    That's what I figured. I wanted to be sure that I installed them correctly, and it looks like I did that.