585,764 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kit comparison

I am making my first Gantry mill/router and have reached the point of choosing the power train.
    Considerations are
    HobbyCNC kit with 200zo motors/controller 3amps/phase

Xylotec with 425oz motors/controller 2.4 amps/phase.

I would like to mill Alluminuim amongst other things.

I am aware (I think) of the multitude of variables but can anyone explain the comparative attrubutes of these two systems.

In the solsylva plans I bought for cnc router it gives the option of using either of these two systems. Here is what it says about choosing between them:

"The prototypes of the original smaller machines use the 200 oz.in. stepper and driver package from HobbyCNC. The larger machine uses the Xylotex 269 oz.in. package. The Xylotex system seems to be a little more powerful as should be expected, and the drivers have axis disable functions that are very handy when setting up a cut. The HobbyCNC system is a kit that requires soldering and it costs less than the Xylotex, which is not a kit. Both work well and come with documentation and support." - CNC Router Plans, 2006, David K. Steele.

Sorry this is all that I can offer, hope it helps somewhat.

Thanks Diarmaid,
    I am 90% leaning to xylotex with the 425oz motors.
    I could probably get motors cheaper elseware but at least from xylotex you would think they would be compatible as a sistem.
    I will be using a 10mm pitch lead screw and linear ball bearing on hardened shaft.
    Speed would be an advantage but more in rapid traverse than cutting.
    The current is the only apprehension I have aout xylotex.

wfiles

Due to the hiogher voltage capability of the HobbyCNC, both should be capable of similar top speeds. But using a 10mm pitch screw probably gives the edge to the Xylotex, as the rpm's will stay lower where the Xylotex has much more torque. Although without seeing actual torque curve charts for both motors, this is just a guess.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You are not limited to 200 oz with the HobbyCNC board. You are limited to 3amps per phase and I believe 42 volts. Ideally run the board at 32VDC. Find 6 or 8 wire steppers rated at 3amps or less and they will work just fine.

I use Keling Inc steppers which are rated at 250 oz or so. They work great and have plenty of torque. There are higher torque steppers available within the 3 amp range.

There are other manufactures that produce high torque and low current demand steppers.

RipperSoftware

Also note that most stepper motors are rated in RMS and the drivers i have come across are rated in peak, so if the driver says 3 A the drive will most likely only give 2.12A RMS, so you need to look for a motor that is 2A RMS and normally that is in series, so you need to remember that if you want to connect in parallel you will need 4.2 A RMS (5.93A Peak)

Quote Originally Posted by rippersoft
    You are not limited to 200 oz with the HobbyCNC board. You are limited to 3amps per phase and I believe 42 volts. Ideally run the board at 32VDC. Find 6 or 8 wire steppers rated at 3amps or less and they will work just fine.

I use Keling Inc steppers which are rated at 250 oz or so. They work great and have plenty of torque. There are higher torque steppers available within the 3 amp range.

There are other manufactures that produce high torque and low current demand steppers.

RipperSoftware
    Motion Control Products Ltd
    www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk

Thanks guys,
    I will go with Xylotex and 425oz motors kit.
    They should be matched or they would hardly bundle them together.
    I will connect to their rcommendations to 10 TPI or less lead screws.
    I think this will give me enough of a tool to learn the finer points of CNC.
    I like the hobbyCNC kit but when you are not doing things on a regular basis too
    many things can (and do) go wrong.I am sure I have some Irish ancestors called Murphy.