585,883 active members*
4,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Blowing Fuses with Probotix PBX-2 Breakout Board with Sidestep Drivers

Blowing Fuses with Probotix PBX-2 Breakout Board with Sidestep Drivers

Hello all,

This is my first machine build so the electronics are new to me.

The kit I got is from Probotix: 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit - 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit

I have been trying to figure out why two of my fuses keep blowing for no apparent reason. The fuses to the Z-Axis and Breakout board are fine but the ones to the X-Axis and Y-Axis blow every time. I have tried about every combination, changing motor wires to different boards, changing grounds, checking voltages, everything; but I cant find a reason. One thing that I just noticed after I got home is that my VREF was low at 1.6V rather than 3.2V for a 2A rating for the motor, but it doesn't seem like that should matter. I have talked to a guy at Probotix and he couldn't seem to see a problem with my wiring and had never heard of this problem before. I'm using the suggested 2.5A 250V fuses. Just hoping you guys can help me figure out my problem.

Although the Z seems to be alright I am yet to get it to move with the computer, Im not sure if its because I got a parallel port extension cord which might mess up the pin configuration?or if its a bigger problem.

The only thing Ive gotten to work so far are the limit switches and I had to use a different pin configuration than suggested to get them to work.

I attached some pictures showing my setup.

Thanks!

Re: Blowing Fuses with Probotix PBX-2 Breakout Board with Sidestep Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by CSpurge View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first machine build so the electronics are new to me.

The kit I got is from Probotix: 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit - 3-Axis SideStep 180 Stepper Motor Driver Kit

I have been trying to figure out why two of my fuses keep blowing for no apparent reason. The fuses to the Z-Axis and Breakout board are fine but the ones to the X-Axis and Y-Axis blow every time. I have tried about every combination, changing motor wires to different boards, changing grounds, checking voltages, everything; but I cant find a reason. One thing that I just noticed after I got home is that my VREF was low at 1.6V rather than 3.2V for a 2A rating for the motor, but it doesn't seem like that should matter. I have talked to a guy at Probotix and he couldn't seem to see a problem with my wiring and had never heard of this problem before. I'm using the suggested 2.5A 250V fuses. Just hoping you guys can help me figure out my problem.

Although the Z seems to be alright I am yet to get it to move with the computer, Im not sure if its because I got a parallel port extension cord which might mess up the pin configuration?or if its a bigger problem.

The only thing Ive gotten to work so far are the limit switches and I had to use a different pin configuration than suggested to get them to work.

I attached some pictures showing my setup.

Thanks!
    What happened to the pictures?

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: Blowing Fuses with Probotix PBX-2 Breakout Board with Sidestep Drivers

I didn't even think this posted, my screen just kept going white after hitting submit. Ill add the pictures now.