584,800 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

5 Phase/ 5 wire stepper drivers.

Can anyone please help?
    I have obtained some Vexta PK566 5 wire stepper motors and I need to make a driver for them. I know that they are probably the most difficult to drive, but I have got a basic layout of the switching circuit from Oriental motors, and I am damned if this problem is going to defeat me! Cost is a big consideration, as I am unable to work (legacy of a car crash).
    Sanken Industries used to produce a driver for them (SI-7502) but that has now ceased production.

Hello jonandyev.
    How is it going with the 5phase drive development?
    I have 3 Vexta 0.72deg, 5 leads steppers one A4308 another one A5678 and another one which labels is unreadable but they are all looking the same
    I am also interested in driving them, so far I have no idea but this document of the web http://www.allegromicro.com/skncatlg...er/si-7502.pdf
    also this one describing a how to make one
    http://www.geocities.com/dsaproject/.../cnc_ctrl.html

Konstantin.

Hello Konstantin, I have not gone much further due to health problems. The second link you have listed does mention me,in so far as I sent in the details about five phase driving. It is still on the backburner as far as making a driver and the programme should work with a pic. The interfacing techniques for driving a motor with a pic are well documented on Microchips website.
    I did manage to obtain a proprietory driver from astrosyn that I have used to test the motors I have and they do seem to be much smoother than 2 and four phase stepper motors. When I get back to full health (that is not being nagged by the missus for overdoing things) I will try out the source code that is listed, and will probably try to use some Avr's as well.

I'll let you know more as I get futher into it.

Andy.

Get better soon :)

I wish you prompt recovery.
    Would you point to the site and perhaps the links to the documentation area of the Microchips page?

I was trying to look out the SI-7510 but its nowhere to be found.
    It sure looks nice way to implement a 5phase drive.

I guess PIC is the way to go.

Too bad my steppers are in penta connection this would make difficult to implement a chopper drive. Would the steppers be 6 lead in star configuration I would simply build a chopper board by Pminmo, I really dislike power resistors.

Konstantin.

Hi there,

I saw 5 phase motor driver on ebay right now. If you search with "stepper driver" key, you'll see that item.

Cooper

Isn't a 5 wire stepper generally a 4 phase with one common wire? I am a bit new to this, so maybe my terminology is off.

Quote Originally Posted by adamziegler View Post
    Isn't a 5 wire stepper generally a 4 phase with one common wire? I am a bit new to this, so maybe my terminology is off.
    No, its a similar to the 2/4 phase steppers but with one extra coil, if the 5 phase stepper is wired in star then it has a common and its 6 leads, otherwise the stepper will be wired in penta connection and will have only 5 leads. Sometimes the 5phase steppers have all 10 leads out and you can wire it whatever you like. The 5phase steppers promise smoother movement, with a 50 tooth stator its 0.72 deg per step and 100 tooth stator does half of that, 0.36 deg/step. If you drive it half step the its even smoother, micro stepping will do wonders.

Konstantin.

P.S.
    This are my steppers btw. Notice the disk mounted on the shaft extension, the large disk is made of ferrite material and inside there is a smaller disk magnet, I thought about removing the disk and begun to unscrew and then remembered about disassembling steppers isn't a good idea because if the stepper was magnetized with the attachment already in place I will disturb the magnetic cage field and the stepper wont be up to the torque specifications anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image002.jpg  

Thanks Konstantin!

how can it too hard too find? - 5 phase cnc drive

Hello All
    I am very new in CNC machine, I just begin to build a Router cnc, I have 2 set of stepper motor, one of them is a normal 6 wires and the other is 5 phase 5 wires penta set.
    With the normal 6 wires I bought a Mc433 drive from Ebay, and also I built a drive from Instructable site too.
    But I can not looking for a 5 phase drive, can any body tell me why??
    1- is it too hard to make?
    2- I open my 5 phase stepper, there are 10 block of wires? is it normal for a 5 phase motor?

any help will be great

Thank

Quote Originally Posted by lehung View Post
    Hello All
    I am very new in CNC machine, I just begin to build a Router cnc, I have 2 set of stepper motor, one of them is a normal 6 wires and the other is 5 phase 5 wires penta set.
    With the normal 6 wires I bought a Mc433 drive from Ebay, and also I built a drive from Instructable site too.
    But I can not looking for a 5 phase drive, can any body tell me why??
    1- is it too hard to make?
    2- I open my 5 phase stepper, there are 10 block of wires? is it normal for a 5 phase motor?

any help will be great

Thank
    Lehung, I have found a great deal of info on 5-phase stepper motors from the oriental motor website, It appears as though all of there 5 phase motors are in the penta configuration. Also there is a star configuration (Micron I believe) that come with 10 wires.

Oriental motors 5-phase info (bottom of page) they also have a 2 vs 5 phase article which is very informative.

http://www.orientalmotor.com/MotionC...ve-methods.htm

Here is a page showing the star configuration (can't find where I found it before)

http://books.google.com/books?id=TsX...F4GpVHchwCtTfo

Hope some of this info might help in identifying the 10 wires. As for building a 5 phase controller, I hope to in the future and will post any results. For now I have bought a udx5114 controller of ebay (5 phase penta driver) because of time.

Good luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane13 View Post

Hope some of this info might help in identifying the 10 wires. As for building a 5 phase controller, I hope to in the future and will post any results. For now I have bought a udx5114 controller of ebay (5 phase penta driver) because of time.

Good luck !!
    Hi hurricane13
    Thank you very much for the infos, there are too many drive for 4 phase and 2 phase, I wonder how hard to make 5 phase drive?

I search every where, every day, and a long time for now, still I did not see a properly 5 phase.
    does The UDX5114 using a pic? can you draw it schematic out?
    If yes , then it is very good )

Cheers

The 5114 is a controller from oriental motor. I bought it on ebay for about $60 US. I had planned on building my own after opening up a CSD5707 controller because it seemed quite simple with one logic IC and two driver chips (I'll have alook at the Part numbers when I get home) But when I priced out the components, the one driver IC was $30.00. I figured I'd go for the store bought option until I had more time. I think it should be easy to make with a PIC or ATMEL IC, just time I guess. I will post the part numbers of the driver ICs when I get home. Maybe that will be a good starting point for a DIY driver.

I'll post back soon.

5 Phase spepper drive

The 5114 is a controller from oriental motor. I bought it on ebay for about $60 US. I had planned on building my own after opening up a CSD5707 controller because it seemed quite simple with one logic IC and two driver chips (I'll have alook at the Part numbers when I get home) But when I priced out the components, the one driver IC was $30.00. I figured I'd go for the store bought option until I had more time. I think it should be easy to make with a PIC or ATMEL IC, just time I guess. I will post the part numbers of the driver ICs when I get home. Maybe that will be a good starting point for a DIY driver.

I'll post back soon.
    Hi hurricane13

The reason I don't want to do it with pic because it needs to program it or flash it, and then I may have to depend on it, then how do I know if it faulty because of the Hex, or the drive, that 's why I would like to have a drive is just No pic, then after it all works good, then I will muck around with pic ).
    Very sorry about my bad english.

If you don't have time to draw out the schematic, then can you just scan the bottom copper and take some pictures on the top, I will try to draw it out, then you only have to compare it )

Cheers

PS, my 5 phase stepper have 10 coils (I open it) and 5 wires, so I think it is penta. Love to have a drive for it.

5 Phase driver IC

The controller I opened up (csd5707) used a 5-phase controller Chip PMM8714. Datasheet attached. There is also a schematic in the datasheet. I will scan the board and list the other two chips (driver Ic's) in my next post. This would eliminate the need for a PIC or AVR. Sanken also has some 5-phase controller chips as well, if memory serves. I'll check to see if I can find that info as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's a datasheet from sanken, I think that this one is for a 5-phase stepper wired in a star configuration, not in a penta configuration. A 10 wire stepper can be wired either way. Either as a star or penta. The datasheet doesn't have much, but the schematic for a free running (not step and direction) circuit is there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

CSD5707 Driver

The CSD Board:

1 pc PMM8714 - 5 phase driver IC
    2 pc MP6901 - Power Transistor Module
    (3 used on one , 2 used on other)
    1 pc MB3759 - Switching regulator controller
    1 pc 5c114e - No idea (seems to connect between 8714 and 6901)
    maybe a pre-driver ?

There is also 1 diode on each of the outputs (5 total)

Attached are the board pics.
    Let me know if If you need more info. I now have 2 move motors and need to build some penta drives !! I'll post any new info I come across

Happy building !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4587.jpg   100_4588.jpg   100_4589.jpg   100_4590.jpg  

100_4591.jpg   100_4592.jpg  

5 phase penta

The CSD Board:

1 pc PMM8714 - 5 phase driver IC
    2 pc MP6901 - Power Transistor Module
    (3 used on one , 2 used on other)
    1 pc MB3759 - Switching regulator controller
    1 pc 5c114e - No idea (seems to connect between 8714 and 6901)
    maybe a pre-driver ?

There is also 1 diode on each of the outputs (5 total)

Attached are the board pics.
    Let me know if If you need more info. I now have 2 move motors and need to build some penta drives !! I'll post any new info I come across

Happy building !
    Thank you very much hurricane13

I will try to see if I can copy the back copper side of the board you post, so what you mean this is the normal 5 phase stepper? so it is 6 wires motor is it?, if it yes then it is not what I need, my motor is a Penta 5 wires, but I still try to draw the board, we may need it later or maybe some one else need it, I don't have much electronic knowledge.
    If you have any thing about Penta drive, please post it up, I really need it, I am currently try to build a cnc, bút I have a probem like this:

a friend give me 3 X linear rail bearing, it is very big and heavy, the slide part of the rail is 10cm X 7cm and each one is 70cm, the problem is I don't know if I should build 2 of that rail for X or 1 is enough, build 2 of them I worry it will be heavy for the motor to push, but if I build 1 of them then I don't know if it is strong enough, the rail is made by Star Germany, then come another problem is I don't know if I should buy a properly lead screw, or just to use any screw that I can buy in the shop, I am in Australia, very little market for cnc in my place.
    Sorry for my English, it is not my native, and I never learn it anyways )

Cheers All

Oh, very sorry, I don't think I able to copy the board that way, because it is 2 side copper board, with the way I said is only able to copy single side board, very sorry hurricane13, I was wasting your time (

5 phase

The Drive I posted is for penta drive.

John

The Drive I posted is for penta drive.

John
    Hi Jonh

As the drive is 2 side copper, I can not copy it by just copy the back, it is always hard to copy the 2 copper board, if you can draw out the diagram from it, then it is great, we should have a 5 phase drive in CNCZONE.

It is very hard to build a CNC in my place. I now may have to buy a lathe to do some job for it , and I am looking for a 5/6 6 tpi tap to tap the polyethyline nut, and I heard a friend of me said the tap will be too expensive as well.

)h, I have 2 of the Sanken SI-7100A, I think it is motor stepper controller, but I can not find any information about it anywhere in the net, if anybody have any information how to use it, please HELP

Any Progress on information, hints or ideas.

Has anyone made any progress or have more information on making a driver for the penta stepper motor?

I'd be willing help.

I have the following that I would really like to use:
    3 Vexta 5 Phase Stepper motors. 2 motors are part number PH5913H-NBA and the 3rd motor part number is PH5913H-NAA.

Thanks

Abe

Page 1 of 4 123