585,925 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Is it possible to turn closed round bushing into C shaped bushing ?

Is it possible to turn closed round bushing into C shaped bushing ?

Hi.

Is it possible to turn a closed round bushing into a C shaped bushing ?
    By cutting a part away.
    Then the slider bar could be supported to reduce bending.

hi i really don't have an answer for this but i had been thinking about some thing like this instead of cutting the slide bushings what about mounting wheels to the gantry to reduce the flex ? not sure if its a valid idea or not but not an engineer either any other ideas on this pros or cons?

can you give details of the bushing? are thinking the bronze sintered ones intended to be a light interference fit? They come oversize so get compressed to the right size when press fit. I would think it would be ok provided the housing was an accurate bore as the bushing confirms to the bore ( in the cast of bronze sintered).

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    can you give details of the bushing?
    More pictures of the bushing are here http://home.wanadoo.nl/vroemm/cnc/sl...67-30-bushing/
    This is the bushing as i have it.
    I have tried to get one out to see more detail, but did not come out.
    I was thinking about cutting the block and bushing.
    It has 6 rows of balls, one would be lost when cutting out a part.

ahhh, I was think bushing as in a plain bearing in a housing. that looks more complicated...wouldn't cutting this away mess up the recirculating balls... can you cut it and only affect one row? As for the housing, when you cut it such that its a "c" shape, there's a good chance it will not retain its accurate bore from the stresses in the material, although that's a guess i have no way of know what stresses than material has in it. Could you even cut the bearing part? wouldn't it be hardened?

If you could get the cut bearing part but the block didn't work, you could make a new housing, normalize the material, then bore then cut into the C shape. all and all a lot more than i thought you were up against, but I'd speculate that cutting away portions of ball bearing enclosures is going to be problematic

that sort of bearing is available on ebay all the time for very cheap in the "Open" configuration which is what you need. Approx 20 degrees is open to allow it to clear the supprorts of your shaft. The inserts themselves are very cheap they are usually plastic with the balls contained in a hardened race, they rely on the bore of the mounting device to position the hardened inserts against the shaft.

Possible, yes, anything's possible. Practical - Definately Not.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

To uncertain.
    I decided not to buy the bushings.

Who wants them ?
    I know a scrapyard where 15 of these bushing are for sale for 10 euro a piece.
    In the city Breda in The Netherlands.
    Mail me at 'vroemm at wanadoo nl' and i will tell you where to find them.
    If they are still there.
    Else they will be melted down, propably.
    My hobby heart almost breaks :-)