585,741 active members*
5,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco ultimax km3p crt not working - just picked up used machine

Hurco ultimax km3p crt not working - just picked up used machine

Hi everyone,

Great site. Nice work everyone.

My buddy just picked up a used Hurco km3p. We pulled out all the boards and cleaned them thoroughly. We're powering it up and the lights flash on the keyboard then a few stay lit. That seems normal, but both CRT screens are totally dead. They didn't work at the time of purchase however a couple years earlier they did. Any thoughts on trouble shooting CRT's? There don't look to be any failed capacitors. The elements in the back don't even light up.

If one was bad I could believe it, but both being out at once seems like it could be something other than the CRT's. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JD

Re: Hurco ultimax km3p crt not working - just picked up used machine

F/U with initial post about HURCO
    All P/S test good even to keyboard, No error lights on error board, all conductors of all cables through the arm good with no shorts to ground, all green LEDs light during boot up and diminishes to three remaining lit. +12V is verified to the CRT control boards--flybacks are not generating HV to the CRT. Hope this helps to narrow down what's missing to turn it on!! One PS - there were some mouse-nibbled wires attached to the graphics CRT however no opens or shorts noted. That's what prompted continuity check of the arm cables . . . and mouse traps were set.

Are there any web links that specify normal startup sequence for the km3p? If anyone can supply any info on this step-by-step machine boot-up we can at least determine where to look for the broken link. Any help is sincerely welcomed!!

Double post

There are several versions of software, and startup screens will reflect that
    I assume it is Ultimax II (?) ( two screens) but they also have color or mono screens/software.
    Can you give the serial number ? The last 4 digit or 2 digits are the year and that may help with the version.

Did you read this post and references ?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...0Boot%20Error=

Rich

Post of nudies of the monitor. It's hard to speculate without any pics

Thanks for your response Rich!! I am a ways away from the machine and we're formulating a response!

We are excited to learn the boot-up sequence for this Hurco milling machine to direct where to look for 'the milling link' to full operation. This system has two screens, apparently from last observation of operation, monochrome. No color has been personally observed. The KM-3P was working before relocation, and now stuck in the power up sequence with three LEDs lit on the console and no CRT display. The only # noted on the system is 703-006-147 ?? The date 1987 is observed under the dual-CRT console and is matching the "skimpy" printed manual supplied with the machine. There is no compressed air or any other possibly sensor-dependent resources connected to this system other than three phase power.

Any information that can help us is greatly appreciated!! David - [email protected]

I did examine your referenced link and could find no help . . .

Power it up, wait for a couple of minutes and then press the bottom softkey between the screens. Then press the manual mode button followed by the power button followed by the start button. Make sure the air pressure is up first though. The servos should start and you should be able to select an axis and then jog it.
    If that works, you are just needing to sort the displays out. This will most likely involve replacing MC1488 and MC1489 chips on the CRT controller and CPU.

Like I said on my last post, post picture of the monitor/s. A picture of the board and the video connector. Most of the Hurco CRT monitors I've seen lack obvious part number marking for the monitor itself and the only way to identify them is via pictures. Posting pics of the CRT and the deflection yoke are useless in identifying monitors.

If you know where the display board is on the control rack, post of a picture of it too.

If you have the pictures like I told you, I can tell what to check to make sure that the monitor is getting power, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray10000 View Post
    We are excited to learn the boot-up sequence for this Hurco milling machine to direct where to look for 'the milling link' to full operation. This system has two screens, apparently from last observation of operation, monochrome.

I did examine your referenced link and could find no help . . .

Yikes! OK - pictures are forthcoming!! And to clarify, no air applied to the machine.

Attachment 240132

Attachment 240134

Attachment 240136

Attachment 240138

Attachment 240140

Here are the photos--if more needed please ask!! Thanks!!

I have a two Hurco KM3P v130 & v162 with Max 32. Both machines are has trouble with dual axis boards. When I tried to calibrate the bed, I got a motion error. The x/y dual axis uses -007 eproms, the z/s dual axis has one -007 for Z and a -317 for the spindle. The Max 32 used a DSP board, the dual axis boards won't work without changing the executive file on the hard drive. The V130 and V163 I think are DSP eproms,

How can I get Max 32 upgrade? or change executive file? I found couple of documents from www.tutorialanswer.com there is hiding menu in max 32 enter 200 enter and helping test axis boards..

Dual Axis Boards;
    415-0176-001J
    415-0176-001J
    415-0176-006H
    415-0176-007H

Thank you.
    Last edited by volcanblack; 11-10-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Explanation