584,860 active members*
5,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Planar simulation NOTHING like tool path result

Planar simulation NOTHING like tool path result

I tool pathed this with a Z level rough then a planar finish with 0.4mm step over the simulation looked good but the resulting tool-path was not even close with large steps and a uneven V profile not a 40mm radius.
    Cheers
    Nick
    The more I learn, the more I find there is to learn
    Regards Nick

Re: Planar simulation NOTHING like tool path result

Can you upload a compressed .bbcd file ?
    That would the best way to get help as it appears there are several things not right.

Here's the part file. This part was cut on a DMG 50t using a hiedenhain TNC 426 controller.

Cheers
    Nick
    Regards Nick

From what I can see it's a post issue. It looks like you are using arc fit for the planar tool path and yor post may not be setup correctly for it. Turn off arc fit and the tool path should run fine.

If you would like to use arc fit you may need to do a post request to add that feature to the TNC 426

Post Request | BobCAD-CAM
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

If you are using arc fit this can be a tolerance issue . Try tightening up the tolerance. and see if it is any better. The simulation in V25 didnt show this that well , but the simulation in V26 will .

MikeG

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    From what I can see it's a post issue. It looks like you are using arc fit for the planar tool path and yor post may not be setup correctly for it. Turn off arc fit and the tool path should run fine.

If you would like to use arc fit you may need to do a post request to add that feature to the TNC 426

Post Request | BobCAD-CAM
    Hi aldepoalo thanks I will try this. I have cut other parts using ArcFit before the radiused edge below was cut with equidistant tool path . I have had other issues with Planar tool path.The mold was first cut with planar which rapided across center crashed into wall and up side (looked fine in simulation) I then over cut it with equidistant and arcfit tool path final result was re-cut with equidistant tool path. There appears to be an issue with Planar to me
    Cheers
    Nick
    Regards Nick

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheG View Post
    If you are using arc fit this can be a tolerance issue . Try tightening up the tolerance. and see if it is any better. The simulation in V25 didnt show this that well , but the simulation in V26 will .

MikeG
    Hi MikeG the ArcFit was set to 0.005mm or 5 microns you would suggest less
    Cheers
    Nick
    Regards Nick

Hi aldepoalo I turned off ArcFit and reposted just planner and finished off the rest of the part, seemed to work much better. Why does ArcFit seem to work with other tool paths and not planar

Cheers
    Nick
    Regards Nick

""The mold was first cut with planar which rapided across center crashed into wall and up side (looked fine in simulation)""

Without seeing that file,,I would reserve judgement on that one.What you are describing could also be "dog legged rapid" at least that is my take.

I would try like .003 or even .002 for the arc fit tolerance . It can cause erratic toolpath if tolerance set to loose for the cut
    See if this helps. Don't forget to re-calculate toolpath after .

MikeG

Look for G18 /G19 and helical interpolation some where in the post. I cant remember what paragrah but I think #64 #65 #66

Nick

Just for info, I do 3D mould work almost every week and like you I have had recurring problems with the Planar toolpath on internal moulds, on external 3D toolpaths I don`t have the same problems.

Basically I get the toolpath "bleeding" over the boundaries set and doing the exact same gouges as you but it is usually the feed toolpath, I also found that using the "Equadistant" toolpath got perfect results the same as you and I pretty much only use "Advanced rough" and "Equadistant" all the time now, have no problems with either

I have to agree with you that there are some problems with the Planar toolpath on internal (Female) type mould jobs

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by LeWhite View Post
    Look for G18 /G19 and helical interpolation some where in the post. I cant remember what paragrah but I think #64 #65 #66
    Thank you for this info, I am using the hiedenhain metric conversational post processor which complicates things a little. it appears not to contain yz xz circle centre moves.
    Regards Nick

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Nick

Just for info, I do 3D mould work almost every week and like you I have had recurring problems with the Planar toolpath on internal moulds, on external 3D toolpaths I don`t have the same problems.

Basically I get the toolpath "bleeding" over the boundaries set and doing the exact same gouges as you but it is usually the feed toolpath, I also found that using the "Equadistant" toolpath got perfect results the same as you and I pretty much only use "Advanced rough" and "Equadistant" all the time now, have no problems with either

I have to agree with you that there are some problems with the Planar toolpath on internal (Female) type mould jobs

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:
    Hi Rob

It appears that the problem with my external planar tool path was an arc fit and post processor issue. I have not tried an internal tool path without Arc Fit checked to see how this works.
    Regards Nick