585,604 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam 5-204-R

Just wondering if any of you guys are using the new helical rack Multicam routers?

We are going to purchase 3 new routers for our shop. We are a plastic shop and that is all we cut. The choice right now is between Haas and Multicam.

Do you guys have a preference and why. Right now I am leaning toward the Multicam.

Jason

multicam user

hi friend,

i am a multicam router user,i found multicam r user friendly.i dont know about haas.

We are also a plastic shop and I've had our 3-305R up and running since the middle of April. We don't have helical racks on our machine but it is cutting parts and I'm very satisfied with the edge finish.

I guess I'll only see the consequence of the standard vs. helical rack over the long term. The technician said I should have no problems as long as I keep everything well lubricated. He's only seen problems when customers run the racks dry and the gears wear out.

On that note, the only option that would be nice is an automatic lubricator.

major difrence between linear and helical rack in th multicam world is that helical machines run faster. Automatic lubrication is standard I think on the 5000 series so is the helical rack i think. Not sure.

Did Bob Austin put yours together Granto?

[QUOTE=

Did Bob Austin put yours together Granto?[/QUOTE]

No, I bought the machine from Bob. One of his technicians put the machine together.

The gantry supports and the gantry needed to be installed. I also purchased an optional t-slot table with the vacuum table. Part of the installation involved drilling and tapping the factory table and installing the phenolic sub table. The entire subtable needed to be faced and gridded for the vacuum channels.

The process was quite long and I'm having minor issues with the vacuum but overall I'm very happy with the machine. It's nice to have the 6' x 12' working area.

Grant.