584,850 active members*
4,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How is this shopping list for a X2 CNC build?

How is this shopping list for a X2 CNC build?

Hi All, I am looking to add a small CNC to my home shop to make prototypes and such (small heat sinks and brackets etc). I am also looking to add a rotary attachment for the 4th axis, any input on a setup there? Any thoughts on my list below?

Thanks!

Harbor freight mill-$411
    Mini Mill - 2 Speed Mini Milling Machine

Cnc fusion long travel kit -$625 CNC Fusion

4 axis motor kit $665
    4 Axis Electronics Kit - Fine Line Automation

Belt drive-$154
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...gory=879658189

air spring $34.95
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...gory=879658189

tooling kit -$344 https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...gory=879658189

Re: How is this shopping list for a X2 CNC build?

I will chime in since no one else has. Stepper size is close to mine, and I couldn't be any happier. I have no experience with it, but lots of people love the gecko 540 driver. I don't know the benefit of the air spring, I never hooked my torsion spring back up, and don't need any help moving the head with the 381 stepper. I LOVE the lms belt kit, I get a little over 4600rpm, and quieter operation. Tooling kit looks like a decent start, vise looks just like mine, but mine has no metal tag on it, and it is the biggest vise I would put on this machine. Little disappointed in the Collete selection, they don't have a 1/4" collet? I use a 1/4 frequently. They should have replaced the 3/4 with a 1/4.

You will need a cabinet to put these in, and an indicator is a must, edge finders are nice to have also. Oh, and a good cleaner to wipe off all the cosmoline off the machine

For $565 for an X2 + belt drive have you considered spending a few hundred more and getting the LMS SX2 variant? Better column, motor, travel. Also the Grizzly G0758 is the same price and probably bests the SX2 if it's anything like its G0704 sibling.

I think I'd say no on the tooling kit. If you're doing CNC immediately then a non-rotatable vise is much cheaper and better from what I understand. You need some collets and a couple end mills that make sense for your projects, not a wide range. And a way to clamp the vise to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    For $565 for an X2 + belt drive have you considered spending a few hundred more and getting the LMS SX2 variant? Better column, motor, travel. Also the Grizzly G0758 is the same price and probably bests the SX2 if it's anything like its G0704 sibling.

I think I'd say no on the tooling kit. If you're doing CNC immediately then a non-rotatable vise is much cheaper and better from what I understand. You need some collets and a couple end mills that make sense for your projects, not a wide range. And a way to clamp the vise to the table.
    Some good advice, if I did not have another cnc project that had more travel, I would not go with the HF x2 as travel is very limited, and a column that does not swivel would be a way better choice in my opinion. Maybe some day I will sell the x2 and do a g0704, better travels, and rigid column.

I just use the vise without the swivel base, this is the one I bought, but now it is cheaper as it now has free shipping
    3" Precision Machine Vise w Swivel Base Lock Down Type | eBay
    these were my collets
    11 PC R8 Round Collets Set 1 8" 3 4" by 1 16" Collet | eBay
    this is my clamping set
    52 PC Clamping Kit T Slot 7 16" End Clamp Flange Coupling Nut Step Block Set | eBay
    I used the long 6" parallels from harbor freight, ect, ect.

End mills I just buy off ebay, there can be some good deals.

my last x2 was pieced together with assemblies bought thru lms , it cost a bit more but I was able to start out with a mill that has the larger travel table , rather than swapping it later like i did with my other mill . The extra travel is nice to have
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

the list is nice, but missing a critical element...a surface plate...because the x2 needs some TLC to get the best performance...

lol

a bit of time with some bearing blue and a scraper will make the world of difference. also i found the gib screws like to be turned with a 45 degree tip rather than flat ended.
    with so much stuff on hand, one spends more time locating it rather than using it.