584,854 active members*
4,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > FlashCut CNC > Will FlashCut work with older existing Servos?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Will FlashCut work with older existing Servos?

Quote Originally Posted by URSTech View Post
    Curious how you know it has resolvers? Was that just from the age or is there info on the Servo nameplate that gave that info away?

Take the end cap off one motor & you will see, that it is not an Encoder, all of these machines, that I have worked on all had Resolvers, I don't think yours will be any different
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Take the end cap off one motor & you will see, that it is not an Encoder, all of these machines, that I have worked on all had Resolvers, I don't think yours will be any different
    Hmm I will take a look this monday if I can. How did you get around the resolver issue? Based on what I am reading there are some converters, but it seems simpler to just install an encoder on the end of my servos.

Hi if you like some pics for inspiration Look at the retrofit i Do right now they Look similar ..
    http://www.tkamsker.at:8080/web/pub/...412-i-retrofit
    If you have a datasheet of the servo i might be able to help. In my project it was paramount to keep the Old servos ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi if you like some pics for inspiration Look at the retrofit i Do right now they Look similar ..
    http://www.tkamsker.at:8080/web/pub/...412-i-retrofit
    If you have a datasheet of the servo i might be able to help. In my project it was paramount to keep the Old servos ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
    Interesting site and some pretty cool projects... my German is a bit rusty though!

Turns out they are HEDS-5500 A06 encoders. 500 PPR is a little low but it should work to get things going assuming they work with the drivers. There seems to be some issues getting HEDS encoders to work with the Gecko products... not sure if thats the case with the Drivers CNC4PC sells.

Quote Originally Posted by URSTech View Post
    Turns out they are HEDS-5500 A06 encoders. 500 PPR is a little low but it should work to get things going assuming they work with the drivers. There seems to be some issues getting HEDS encoders to work with the Gecko products... not sure if thats the case with the Drivers CNC4PC sells.
    I guess you got lucky, what year is your machine, 500 PPR is not very good, but as you said,it will get you going

The drive you need will have to be able to use the Power supply that you have, Servo Motor Voltage / Amps / Encoder input, & take Step/Dir for your control
    Mactec54

I guess you got lucky, what year is your machine, 500 PPR is not very good, but as you said,it will get you going

The drive you need will have to be able to use the Power supply that you have, Servo Motor Voltage / Amps / Encoder input, & take Step/Dir for your control
    Yea 500 PPR is very low, I will probably try and find some new ones around 2000 PPR. I noticed one of the optical disks had a little crimp in it so I might have to replace it anyways. My RoboTool was made in 1988. I am looking at the Gecko G320X pretty closely right now and it seems to fit the spec requirements for my system fairly well.

• It has step/dir
    • 0-80 Volt VDC (my servos are listed as 65V)
    • 0-20A (is this the same amperage rating as my 3.75A Servos? If it is this is way overkill, but at least gives me the option to upgrade the servos later if I want)
    • Encoder input seems to work based on what I have read (requires a little work around for the HEDS encoders) But like I said I may just buy new ones in which case I will make sure they work with it
    • The big question mark is the power supply, but if that turns out to be the only holdup I will just replace that with something that is compatible. I will try and get a closer look at the PSU tomorrow.

By the way thanks for all your help mactec, sorry if I seem to do the million questions routine! Hopefully having all the answers here will help other people too. I generally only ask a question when I can't find the answer after a couple hours of googling.

URSTech

If you can Power up the machine, you would be able to test all of the power supplies outputs, that are being used for the Amps/Drives Etc, this would be the best way to be sure of what you have

The motor rated amps @ 3.75, the peak amps will be much higher, will be around 7A to 8A peak for that motor
    Mactec54

It really sucks when a thread like this just dies. Alot of good information but never find out what worked and what didn't.

Page 2 of 2 12