585,660 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 2011 HAAS TM1P BATTERY REPLACEMENT??

2011 HAAS TM1P BATTERY REPLACEMENT??

I can easily get to the battery on this machine BUT should it be replaced with the machine running so I don't loose memory??
    I have read on other threads that you should connect a second battery while replacing the original.
    Should the machine be powered down to do this??
    Where do I get this second battery and how do I connect it??
    I am hoping you guys can save me the $350 service call for a $10 battery. This machine sits for weeks at a time so I know this battery issue is going to be common for me.
    Thanks, John Hooper / Hooper race engines

Re: 2011 HAAS TM1P BATTERY REPLACEMENT??

You definitely need to do this with the power on, otherwise you lose all machine parameters and diagnostics. It's a good idea to back that information up before you do a battery swap.

On all the machines I've run in the past we were able to take the factory battery out and take it to Batteries Plus and they would make a new one. I'm not familiar enough with the Haas battery system to say if it's possible or not though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The procedure requires the jumper battery, PN 32-1010 (plugs in on the processor PCB).

Backup all your machine data, turn setting 23 OFF before backing up.

Power OFF the machine, lock out main breaker, strap on your ESD strap (VERY IMPORTANT!) and ground yourself to the machine.

Remove all the boards in the stack, but your TM1 probably only has a single board (maincon). Place the maincon on top of a static resistant bag (silvery plastic bag electronics come in to protect them) and locate the backup battery and the jumper battery plug (J15 on coldfire, not sure on maincon. It should be right next to the battery).

Install the jumper battery, I like to check for voltage at this point.

You will need to de-solder the old battery, use solder wick to suck up the old solder. You will need a hot soldering iron, the welfare model will not work. Carefully remove the old battery from the maincon.

Carefully install the new battery then solder in place.

Remove jumper battery and reinstall everything you disassembled.

***It is common to have corrupt programs afterwards. You will need to test every machine function, make sure the control works properly and check all your programs.

Good luck, let me know if you need help.

Phil

I forgot to ask, what alarm are you getting?

FYI, alarm 124 is the only battery alarm requiring battery replacement.

I know this is an old thread but just as a arning. When the machine says to replace the backup battery don't postpone too much. I made the mistake of waiting and lost all my stuff that was in memory (chair) That was a costly mistake

Haas TM 1P Battery Replacement and Full System Recovery

Haas TM 1P Battery Replacement and Full System Recovery