584,846 active members*
3,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Fixture Offsets

Howdy, I am trained on a Haas VF1 , but have access to an older Fadal 2216 , do not know at this time what version operating system ( never looked will look today) my question is , FO,0 refers to the G54 position , FO,1 to G55 and so on , when editing the values for these offsets does the 'Z' value refer to all tools used with this offset?

Re: Fixture Offsets

fixture off sets are just that type DF enter and you see them DT for the tools, now is it format 1 or 2
    1 uses E for fixture numbers 2 uses G54 and so on and they start with 1.
    this is assuming it's a 88, machine can be set for either format 1 or 2
    that also effects ridged tapping

Thanks for the reply , it is a 88hs machine and it displays the offsets as 'E' however in my programs I write them as g54 / 55 and so on and the operating system seems to like it, have not done any ridged taping just surfacing and 2d that seems to work pretty well , as I stated I was trained on a VF1 and the user interface is quite different, if I understand you right this machine is running in '2' mode ? I am familiar with the DT and DF command but I am a long way from understanding the 'Big Picture"

It will tell you if it's running format 1 or 2
    hit the manual key twice and it should say tool whatever is in the spindle
    and format1
    or format2
    in format2 in the DF it will list them with G54 ect
    in format1 it will show them as E
    never played with a Haas so can't comment on how it compairs

Thanks for the reply , I know which screen you are talking about , never payed attention to the format only to which tool is in and I won't be in the shop till next week ( maybe this afternoon not sure gotto see how the day progresses ) But I do remember that in the upper 3rd of the screen ( where the position speed etc is displayed) it say 'E0" 1,2 and so on . anyway back to my original question. If I modify the 'Z' value for a fixture offset in the DF screen will it apply to all operations that use this offset?

yes that is by definition what a fixture offset is. z is no different the x or y in that respect.
    wouldn't be much point in using them other wise.
    it's just a reference point in space.
    easiest way to set your x and y is with the UT.

Thanks that's what I thought , I am fishing in the dark a bit with this machine because the friend that owns it has no clue how to operate it and I try to muddle through as best as I can

when I got my fadal, I wrote myself a guide on how to do the work offsets. odd at first, but then you find out that the fadal system works much easier in that you don't give a sh*t about the spindle nose to tool tip length or any other complicated measurements.

attached here as a pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FADAL fixture and tool home setup procedure.pdf  

Thank you very much , very comprehensive . did not know about the UT command ( this must be the equivalent to the Haas 'set tool measure offset' and 'next tool' commands ) been setting the tools manually with SL,1 ... etc. mostly using a paper strip to determine touch off point or when it needed to be a bit more precise a 2" dial touch-off block and then SL,1,-2.0 , your write-up should help immensely , also I had set the home position as suggested in the book , from CS position bring the table toward me as far as it goes then back it off 0.200" and setx and sety . Again thanks your paper will help.