585,670 active members*
4,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Advice on Sloped face off CAM Mill setup.

Advice on Sloped face off CAM Mill setup.

Hi Everyone. I just picked up my DolphinCAM mill pro. I figured I would ask here about some thoughts and general setup Q's as I ponder 3D now! It is time to dig in and start making some chips I hope.

I am a plasma 2D guy so not totally new to the concepts of CAM to GCode. My Son and I are making some new adventures in the Milling space. He's doing this custom tactical axe thing.. and we need to mill the axe top edges. think Axe-cheek-to-edge slope. This will be 1.5" back from the sharp edge and slope 5 degrees. This is a DXF import and essentially is a 1.5" x 5" square w/ a slope of 5 degrees in thickness edge to edge.

- So here is where I've been thinking and wondering: Rather than let the Mill cut the slope on a DCAM face off job, I figured I would would just mount the axe face at 5' Setup the material as a square, 1.5" x 5" and see what I can setup in the CAM parms to make a nice flat surface? Or- Do I just let the mill do the work. Mount it flat, setup the job and the Mill will still make it look good w/ the right sized cutter? Just wondering about approaches to this one. I think the 5' slope mount and DCAM setup sounds about the easiest to me? but I'm still to new to really 'get it'. Best and have a great weekend everyone.

Re: Advice on Sloped face off CAM Mill setup.

Do you have an actual picture, drawing or 3D concept of it?

Can you use 3" or so instead so that you can have 1,5" sticking up past the vice jaws and cut the shape from the top?

Rough cut and then grind it?

Re: Advice on Sloped face off CAM Mill setup.

Here are a few Pics. I can seperate the Axe edge/taper part from the axe itself for importing as a DXF. Just not sure how to really approach it for Milling. It is 1045 steel and pretty darn hard. Grinding is just too much Labor since we really do not have the right equipment. To slope this in the holder seems 'intuitive to let the cuter use the Mill Pro Z axis only plane feature? Dunno?

Attachment 234846
    Attachment 234848