585,906 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Work offset issue

Work offset issue

Hello all,

I have a bit of an issue that has me scratching my head. I finished my toolpaths in MC, then put my part in my Haas. Touched off the part (confirmed its perfect) loaded my code, and when I hit go my work offset (G54) doesnt seem to line up?! What's strange is when I check in in a code simulator it looks correct but the X and Y in the Haas is off by quite a bit. Tools not even touching the part. Is there anything that can cause this? I'm just looking for clues as to where I could look.

Thanks!

Re: Work offset issue

What do you mean "hit go to my work offset"?

If you jog your tool roughly centered above your part reference and look at the offsets page and compare current position to g54 stored position are they almost identical? If not the error is likely in how you referenced it. Are u using probe? If you're using edge finder did you give it the wrong number on the diameter of the edge finder?

If they are the same the issue is likely in MC. Id check to make sure it's putting out g54 in the code. If it is I'd try and figure out why your datum is in the wrong spot.

Also, figuring out EXACTLY how much you're off will be a big indicator. Could be using tool diameter offsets for wrong tool or bad data in Haas.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Thanks for the response Brian.

Sorry hit go meaning initiate my program. The tool swings off to the right somewhere a few inches away from my part. Looks off on all axis. Down, to the right, and just above where I just touched of the actual part. I am using Renshaw Probe for setting my wcs.

Now that I've had more time to look at it. I find it a little more confusing. I tried to run a program for an older part that I know worked in the past, and again same issue, the work offset is off by a few inches. I've confirmed that there is a G54 in the script. Seems that when I try to set the offset on the Haas via probe or manually, the result is the same. It always goes down and to the right of where the part should be.

Stumped.

Hi , try in MDI g54 g00 x0.0 y0.0 -> go and see where you end up jog your Z down and if it is in the correct starting position ... then its MC or the electronic gremlins .... just my $ 0.02

I'd use a manual method (edgefinder or indicator) to get the X and Y offset for the part and put it into G55 (assuming it's available). I'm under the impression that theoretically it should be the same. It should differ less than +/- .001" I don't think you can do this for the Z offset

This should help troubleshooting the problem.

Re: running code in MDI I always put in G90 to insure your in absolute mode so the line I'd run would be
    G54 G00 G90 X0.0 Y0.0

Tony
    [email protected]
    http://www.xenomechanics.com

Check your WCS you may be running off the wrong coordinate system or your numbers in Mastercams WCS may have changed
    for some reason. In a few cases I have hit the wrong keys when moving the WCS around.