585,568 active members*
3,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > No more free updates ? ?
Page 1 of 4 123

No more free updates ? ?

Anyone know when the free updating of a current version of BobCAD stopped ? ?

Looks like I missed that announcement somewhere, just got a notification on my BobCAD Live of latest update (Build 1335) but when I tried to download it I get re-directed to a web page that says I have to have paid for a support package in order to update at all ! !
    Update Build 1182 was free ! !

Anyone else got this or is it just me ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Re: No more free updates ? ?

Just to confirm I see the same issue of it wanting me to have a service contract to get updates.

That seems a bit strange, BobCad were fixing issues in V25 more or less until it was replaced and V26 seems to have had it's fair share of bumps in the road, if it does turn out to be the case it would be a good argument for never upgrading to a version that isn't fairly mature, with most of the issues having had chance to arise and be addressed.

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That seems a bit strange, BobCad were fixing issues in V25 more or less until it was replaced and V26 seems to have had it's fair share of bumps in the road, if it does turn out to be the case it would be a good argument for never upgrading to a version that isn't fairly mature, with most of the issues having had chance to arise and be addressed.

- Nick
    Nick

I agree, if this is the case then I would certainly not be upgrading again for a very long time and I suspect many others will do the same ! !
    Does seem odd, lower revenue now for maintenance packages versus potential loss of much higher upgrade revenues ? ? Very odd ! !
    I could see a system where an annual maintenance payment would get the user all future updates and upgrades would be workable, that would give them a good consistant revenue and everyone knows where they stand.
    Don`t know about anyone else but I have never had any notification whatsoever that I would have to start paying for updates, haven`t seen anything on their site or Forum either ! !

However I suspect BC will then come with the same setup that other Cad-CAM software companies use ie to get say V28 and miss out V27 the user will be expected to "buy back" previous updates or maintenance packages covering the gap ! !

Not looking good for the future of the "little guy" for sure, big danger of being completely priced out, if we are forced down that route then might as well dig deep and go pay the big money for a much more mature software like Delcam "Power Mill", MasterCAM etc, etc ! !

Brian

Thanks for confirming it isn`t just me, could get a bit paranoid if it was

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    However I suspect BC will then come with the same setup that other Cad-CAM software companies use ie to get say V28 and miss out V27 the user will be expected to "buy back" previous updates or maintenance packages covering the gap ! !
    Some might just do the maths and work out whether to use a new company & purchaser details to get a "brand new customer only" deal from any company using this strategy ;-)

- Nick

so we can't update the demo to see if the problems have been fixed before we make a decision to buy ----- cool I'm liking this product more and more all the time

Seems like updates that fix things should be FREE.
    I can see $$$$ for added features.That is fair.

I wish they would FIX some of the things they left broken in prior versions.

This is a quote from the Bobcad website.

"Software Updates
    BobCAD-CAM software updates are automatically provided to all customers. Updates are provided via web download. Product upgrades incur an additional charge, and are not covered by the technical support agreement."

I'm sure Al can straighten it out.

Doug

i hope so. to change policy mid product version life (v26) and leave existing customers out seems shady.

works for me...and dang what a long list of bug fixes!
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Well,I only have DEMO.
    I cannot download update.
    This will surely make the Forums less effective if everybody is not on same release.The Forum that is here on the Zone in particular has been played a part in BoB's sucess I am sure.It would be interesting how many view here for knowledge,but are not members,or members that do not post.Can you imagine how un-helpful this forum would be with 4 updates to each version,with a new version every 14 to 15 months?
    Tell us it ain't so Al.

Same thing here - my "support" has expired. Considering I bought the V26 5 months ago, I guess the support and upgrades only last until they figure they can't sell you more support. Note that I sent them pages and pages of bug reports about their tutorials and have yet to know whether or not any of these issues have been addressed.

For my limited amount of money, this program has proven to be marginally acceptable and certainly not worth throwing more money at these problems. Maybe a lot of messages about this to Al might help, but I'm dubious.

Just been and looked at the Support packages, the lowest priced $200 package states as follows :-

Email Tech Support Membership

Annual technical support membership includes, Help Desk Login, Email Support, 3 New or Updated Posts, Software Updates & Post Processor Downloads.

I thought that Post Processor downloads were free as well ? ? Been and downloaded a couple and that worked OK so far so good there then

Gets weirder, when you go to the support compare page it clearly says there as well that software updates and Post Processor downloads are in that package
    CNC CAD/CAM Software Support Memberships | BobCAD-CAM

I have sent them an email asking for some clarification on all this, don`t know if they are on holiday in the US today, (it is the "Mayday" holiday here) so may be tomorrow before I get any info on this

Regards
    Rob

If Hobbyist built it . Hobbyist can tear it down . Sometimes we all forget how we got to where we are today and who we still need to stay there. You can't make any parts in DemoMode so why supply a bugged out sales product? Does Bobcad have a new sales strat with some bugs in it also?

I too received the must be logged in and have support when I tried to download direct from the site. However I did receive an email from bobcad that had the download link in it that worked just fine.

Ronnie

When did youreceive thatemail?

May 1st. Same day update came out.

Ronnie

Interesting. Idefinitely didn't get an email.

Charging money to fix mistakes,I cannot due that or I will have no customers.

What about people who just purchased V26? mine is only 4 weeks old, and i would love to update,

Page 1 of 4 123