584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setup FTP server on Win 7

Hi all,

Need some help in setting up FTP server on Win 7.

Some noob questions.

1) Is FTP server consider a "software application" that can be setup on any computer?

2) If the PC's IP address is 192.168.0.100 and I can setup FTP server on the same PC as 192.168.0.150? or can it be any IP address? Eg; 10.1.1.255?

3) Any concern in choosing the FTP port no?

4) What is the "relationship" between a windows account and the FTP server? Do I need to specially create a window account for the FTP server?

5) I had setup a FTP server with service started, but can't seemed to be able to assess to the FTP drive.
    Say the FTP server is 192.168.0.150, When I do FTP (dos prompt) 192.168.0.150 there is no prompting of password or username.

However if I FTP (dos prompt) 192.168.0.100 (PC IP address where the FTP server is installed), there is prompting of password and username, but still not able to log in at all.

I think I might be getting the concept wrong.....

How to Setup a Local FTP Server in Windows 7 - ProgrammerFish | ProgrammerFish

I have a PC with FTP server setup, the pc is connected to another laptop via cross cable.
    The remote laptop is able to ping the first laptop.....

My main question is how do I know that the FTP server is being setup correctly?

Thanks.
    Steve

Re: Setup FTP server on Win 7

1. Yes and No. If you installed the IIS services on your Win7 box then the FTP functionality can be added as part of those services. If you are running a third party software package like Filezilla server then it's a separate software application. The truth is it's all software.

2. If you are going to use it as a server you really should do 1 of to possible things. Either setup a reservation in your dhcp server to hand that machine the same address all the time or set the IP address to static and assign it the address you'd like to use. If you go the static route you can assign multiple IP's to the same interface but unless you plan to run multiple instances of the FTP server on the same port then there is no real need to use multiple IP's. You could also opt to toss in second NIC and assign it the second address.

3. Use the standard port. It will only complicate things for you later using an alternate port. If this will be a public site you may want to consider implementing SFTP but that will require you to have an ssl certificate.

4.Again that depends. If you use the FTP services built into IIS then you can use the same windows accounts set up on the box to login. IF you use a third party app not all of them support reusing the windows accounts and will create their own accounts. There are pros and cons to each.

5. Unless you set a static IP on the box and gave it the 192.168.0.150 address as a secondary address on the NIC interface then the FTP site is only listening on 192.168.0.100:21.

I have never setup SFTP before. If i setup a SFTP server, will the fanuc still be able to connect to it? Does the fanuc support SFTP?

If it's just for moving files between the design PC and the Fanuc controller I wouldn't bother. That's not exposed to the outside world. I doubt the Fanuc could do SFTP anyway but since I don't know for sure I'll let someone that knows answer that part.

We have several Fanuc controllers at work and are using the IIS ftp. I wouldn't worry about SFTP.