585,692 active members*
4,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Bosch Router GMF1400 Question (European 240V)

Bosch Router GMF1400 Question (European 240V)

I've found it immpossible to find an american style cylinderical router for my machine over here in Australia so I'm considering buying a GMF1400 router from the UK since the UK and Auatralia both have the same 240V power supply.

check out this link
    websitehttp://www.bosch-pt.com/uk/en/gw/newdeals/media/P15-16.pdf

It has an electronic power booster for heavy loads. (I'm not really sure what this means)

Does it mean that it is variable speed as and when it requires it, i.e if it senses that its struggling to maintain a speed it applies more power to maintain it?

If any one can answer this and if anyone has any information to share regarding this router I would much appreciate it.

Regards
    -Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by RASPNC
    the UK and Auatralia both have the same 240V power supply.

-Nikki
    I believe the frequency is the same also, 50hz?

It mentions it has variable speed, with a Universal motor the speed regulation is not very good under load without some kind of monitoring and correction, this correction can be done either by tach or current-monitoring, it does not show the speed controller itself, wether it is built in or separate, but I suspect they use current feedback for speed stability.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi, I dont know if your saw my reply to your post in my other thread so I've copied it here:

RASPNC
    Thanks. Im not sure if that Bosch would fit but looks like a nice router. I imagine that its just like you say. Underneath where it says that on your link, it also says it is variable speed, so I imagine you can set the speed yourself, and if the rpm drops below or rises above the set rpm it will increase/decrease power automatically to adjust and try to keep the rpm constant at whatever setting. The quote below is about the Ridgid Laminate Trimmer suggested above your post but I imagine its the same thing:

"An electronic speed control module senses the load applied to the motor, and increases or decreases motor voltage to compensate for and maintain desired RPM."

Also, re. buying equipment from the USA visit the link below and subscribe to it. It hasn't been added to in a while, but when I finally get around to ordering eqpt from the USA and testing it, I'll be posting my results so you can see if they work ok or not. Incidentally, if your mains in Australia operates on 60Hz frequency you are fine ordering from the USA, simply use a step down transformer for the voltage and you wont have any problems. If your mains is 50Hz you are fine ordering from the UK.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19877

Thanks for you replies guys.

I've just been comparing the price of the GMF1400 UK version and its US equivalent
    BOSCH 1617EVSPK, which appears to be the exact spec just set up for US a 60Hz US power supply.

I really want one of these routers however.

The US version costs 209 USD
    The UK version costs over 500 USD (299 GBP more than double the price)

As I'm living in Australia I really need the UK version (50hz) however does anyone know of an easy way to modify/adjust a (60hz) router so that it operates the same as a 50hz version?

Would it be a simple modification +use of a transformer or does it require a totally different type of motor.
    This could potentially save me a fair few bucks if I could get away with using the US router.

Cheers

Nikki

See the other previous posts on this subject started by Dairmaid, it covers this in detail.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

RASPNC,
    This is the thread you need to look at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19877

Its quite long and sometimes complex so prepare to spend a while reading it, then another while digesting it! I've had a constant headache ever since posting the thread! Due to the often HUGE price differences because of the exchange rate I also want to buy equipment from the USA.

Basically I've come to the conclusion that the only way to be sure about certain items is by trial and error. To this end I am going to buy the cheapest items first and as each works I'll order the next two or three. If at any point an item doesn't work I won't order a similar one again.

Also to assist myself and others who want to buy US tools for other countries I've started this thread, which hopefully will build up a record of what works and what doesn't for future referance.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22111

Hope this helps. Its nice to know Im not alone in this situation.

I'm with you guys on this and apart from issues re. sourcing cylindrical routers from within Australia, I have found transfer costs between US and Aus punitive. Check http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20990.

I discussed the issue of cylindrical routers recently with some CNC mates and their solution was to buy a Bosch die grinder which has variable speed and is definitely available in Australia but not widley publicized.

I think that is definitely an option but not suited to low speed cutting where high torque is required. (Please correct me anyone).

Useful thread.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Andy, there are low speed and high speed die grinders.

Nikki, i am also very interested in running a 1617 EVS on 50 Hz....
    i compared the replacement parts lists (bosch server) and the motor parts and speed control are different, but only the voltage is listed. BTW, there is a 230V 60Hz version, which also has a different motor....
    The motor parts are 160€.. this negates any price advantage.

Regards
    K

Thanks for that Keyne

I think I'll just bite the bullet and fork out 299 GBP FOR THE 240V 50hz version next time I'm in the UK.

Just a bit annoying that the US version is so cheap.

Nikki

I don't think I will ever understand the price difference of Bosch 1617 and it's equivalent model available in UK. It's a rip-off.

Is there a another make which is equivalent to Bosch 1617 and is available in UK and is cheap like the Bosch 1617 USA version?

Regards
    Naeem