584,871 active members*
5,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 10 78910

Re: ANXIETY - New Charter Oak Machine

Ok I fixed the z axis homing switch problem but I am still getting a external estop before hitting the limit switches on bot ends of the x axis. When the estop happens I cannot use the knob to crank the table any farther towards the switch but I can turn it back towards the center of the mill..

Quote Originally Posted by forddieselpower View Post
    I bought a CO mill also. I am trying to home the machine but am having problems. The first problem is when jogging or homing to try to hit the x limit switchs/ home switch the machine has a external estop before it can get to those switches. I am wondering if they didnt set this axis stop up and I am actual crashing it and it is stopping because of a high load on motors at the limit of travel and it is triggering a estop. Also when I try to home the z axis triggers the switch but keeps on going and it shows the switch is triggering in diagostic mode. The machine does home on the y axis when I disable the z axis switch and then goes to try to home x and has a estop before hitting the x axis home switch.
    I'd think if it was a high load on the motor or you reached the end of the travel for that axis, the drive would fault. Not go into e-stop. Try moving the X axis stops to see if they are out of adjustment. Does the machine have a one shot oiling system? If so, check that there's noting being hit between the bed and the saddle.

Bob

You should have 26" of travel on the X axis. This can be stretched but the table will be traveling past the edge of the saddle. Check the distance between the adjustable stops. If it is greater than 26", they most likely need to be moved in.

If done properly it SHOULD estop when the drives fault. That way the control knows when there is an issue with position. Sounds like a Mach3 issue, it does some weird things at times. Are they mechanical switches or sensors?
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Mine has proximity switches on it.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I'm not a huge fan of prox. switches for limit/home, mainly because they can be triggered by flying chips if not protected properly.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

I had that issue on Y until I put a wider rubber way cover on it. I put a metal shield on X which almost totally prevents it. I also have proximity switches on my Hurco mill which I have never had any issue with. Admittedly the ones on the Hurco are almost totally enclosed. The positioning accuracy and repeatability with the ones on the Hurco are also very consistent. I have not really checked the ones on this mill for accuracy and repeatability, but they seem close enough for government work.

I would note that when I hit a limit it does E-stop except if I am homing to them.

Bob La Londe

Pin Wrench / Spanner:

Pin Wrench / Spanner:

While I was doing some work on the head to reduce backlash and stick slip issues I looked down and saw my lower spindle nose bearing retainer had completely spun out. It was just laying on the back of the master holder I am using in the mill. It must have just fallen, as I would certainly have noticed the clatter if I had been cutting.

So, I am wondering a couple things. What is the best way to get a pin wrench/spanner to tighten it back up. I suspect making one is probably going to be the answer.

How can I prevent that from happening again with out making it to difficult to remove in the future. Maybe blue loctite? Its got enough surface area being so big around I think red should not be needed.
    Bob La Londe

Did you find the cause of spindle faulting yet?

Bob & Paul
    gentlemen I want to thank you for this thread. It has been the most informative intelligent discussion I have read in a very long time. I told paul today I am absolutely ready to order just need to work out the details.
    I hope I can do a follow up here showing the improved units.
    larry in oregon

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    Did you find the cause of spindle faulting yet?
    I've tweaked and adjusted, and cut out some stuff. Jeff Birt would be appalled. LOL. I have not noticed a spindle problem in a while. I think it might still be heat related, but the only thing still out in the heat is the motors. I moved the control cabinet inside the office a while ago, and of course its been winter. As the weather warms up I guess I'll find out. I've cut a lot of parts on it though and it has been making its own payments.

My new belt drive shipped today. I should have it next week. It will be so nice not to have to listen to that gear head noise anymore. Then I'll start working on a faster quick change tool setup. I'm thinking TTS style with a pneumatic cylinder to release. I'll have to see how the new belt drive setup goes together before I decide on exactly how I want to tackle that.
    Bob La Londe

What voltage are you seeing coming into your cabinet.

I have 213 to 215.

I don't recall exactly. It higher than that like it should be when I checked it, and it was stable under changing loads.
    Bob La Londe

Is your vfd hooked up to L1 and L3?

I do not think its a power issue. I think its a signal noise issue exaccerbated by heat. I base this on the documented frequency output fluctuation already documented. I have not had an issue in months, so no changes or trouble shooting would be wise at this time. If it ain't broke you cain't fix it.
    Bob La Londe

I think I just found my issue. My control cabinet uses a 20A circuit breaker for the on/off power switch. I believe it was faulty. Is this the same way yours is set up, with a breaker switch for the cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    I think I just found my issue. My control cabinet uses a 20A circuit breaker for the on/off power switch. I believe it was faulty. Is this the same way yours is set up, with a breaker switch for the cabinet?
    Got a picture? Mine has a twist switch setup through the front cabinet door for main power. Issues with "that" would cause all kinds of problems.
    Bob La Londe

[ATTACH=CONFIG]268596[/ATTClick image for larger version. 

Name:	14237686436371891273931.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	268596ACH]

- - - Updated - - -

Does pic show up?

Nope. I do not have a circuit breaker in my setup that looks like that. Only Square D breaker anywhere in the circuit is the new dedicated breaker I installed at the main panel just for this machine.
    Bob La Londe

I decided to do a complete tear down on the machine the other day, and I found a loose connection to the spindle motor inside the j-box on the side of the head. I suppose inconsistent loads on the VFD due to an occasional intermittent on one leg could have caused the VFD to fault. I have two other machines in the shop running now, so I figured I could stand some down time with this one now. I know what I find from a complete go through won't have much bearing on new customers since they have radically improved the control system on the machines being shipped now, but I thought anything I found might be of use to others. I did note the loose connection to Paul & Tony and suggested twisted wire and wire nuts for those connections. They are not as pretty, but the connections will last the life of the motor. No screws to loosen up from vibration.
    Bob La Londe

Page 9 of 10 78910