584,802 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 10 123

ANXIETY - New Charter Oak Machine

I stuck the quill on my Hurco mill a few weeks ago. When I tore it apart I decided it was not easily repairable, so I started building a new linear slide Z-axis for it with a high speed spindle (I do a lot of 3D work in aluminum). Anyway, I started realizing how dependent I had become on the heavy cutting ability of the machine. At the same time my Taig controll developed a glitch. I've been reduced to using my CNC wood router to make parts.

In the mean time I arranged financing on a Charter Oak TurnKey CNC Mill. I got notice the truck line picked it up from Charter Oak yesterday.

I'll document my experiences here in this thread.

Paul has been very helpful so far before the sale. He has answered all my questions.

I did have one small surprise. I only found out about it by accident. It does not come with a stand. I'm not sure if it says so on their website, but I didn't notice it. I found another thread were somebody talked about maximum height of the machine, and Paul had offered to make their stand a little shorter for them. I contacted Paul and said I would like the shorter stand as well. That's when I found out the stand was an option. I ordered and paid for the stand, I probably wasn't very nice sounding when I said I didn't figure a "turnkey" mill would sit on the floor," but Paul was gracious enough about it. We got it sorted out, I paid the extra, and the stand I want will ship with the mill.

I had figured I would set it up for the TTS tooling system like a lot of Tormach and Novakon guys use. But I did a little research on the Mach 1 R8 system Charter Oak offers and I decided it could probably handle heavier loads without slipping. So, even though it costs a little more and the tool holders cost a little more than TTS tool holders I decided to go with it. I do like the simplicity of the design for disengaging the locking stud on the holders. I have confidence in the design holding the tool holders. I am concerned with how easily it will release the tool holders from the quill. I'll let you guys know how it works for me.

Now I am just anxiously waiting for its arrival. It should be here sometime next week...
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Re: ANXIETY - New Charter Oak Machine

Bob La Londe,

I believe it will be impossible for the cream puff "Charter Oak CNC" to take the cuts your Hurco does.
    I am willing to bet a bakers dozen on the Hurco.

Live from the jelly roll factory,
    JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonuts View Post
    Bob La Londe,

I believe it will be impossible for the cream puff "Charter Oak CNC" to take the cuts your Hurco does. (You mean did. Not does.)
    I am willing to bet a bakers dozen on the Hurco.

Live from the jelly roll factory,
    JoeyB
    I am willing to bet even my Hurco won't take the cuts my Hurco used to take... ever. Its got a linear slide 2.2KW spindle on it now, and probably will as long as I have it. I have most of my Kwik 200 tooling for sale on Ebay, and I even listed the quill for anybody who might want it for parts. I'll probably list the rest of my Kwik 200 tool holders today or tomorrow.

You might also note that a KMB1 is a powered quill machine which by definition has some flex. (It was pretty good, but under heavier calculated cutting loads the deflection was always more than just the end mill deflection.) A Charter Oak is a bed mill setup which might have some tiny amount of head nod if its not kept adjusted, but it will not have quill flex since the quill is always retracted.

But of course you ignored part of the post. "(I do a lot of 3D work in aluminum)" The new setup for the Hurco is more useful to me for that type of work. I don't care how heavy or rigid a machine is its useless for fine detail work if the spindle isn't fast enough. I did very little heavy cutting, but I missed the ability for things like making repair and retrofit parts for other machines.

... and now having been forced to defend myself and my actions. This thread is NOT about the Hurco other than how it lead to my purchases of another machine. Its about my purchase, setup, and cutting experienced with THIS machine, so please lets keep the sniping and potshots to a minimum.
    Bob La Londe

Tracking seems to be a day behind on this, but it is moving.

Shipment Comments and Updates
    05/06/14 Appointment Pending
    05/06/14 Freight picked up from shipper location
    05/07/14 Trailer dispatched from CHICOPEE, MA to BOLINGBROOK, IL
    05/07/14 Trailer Closed - ready for dispatch
    05/09/14 Trailer arrived at terminal in BOLINGBROOK, IL
    05/09/14 Trailer unloaded at terminal in BOLINGBROOK, IL
    I also purchased the following to compliment my new mill. Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies
    Attachment 235824

I've always wanted a good bending brake, but now I have a reason to have one. Ok, I could have got by with the import model for half the price, but I'm hoping this one will last a lifetime and then some. Due to the heat here in SW Arizona in the summer time I decided to see about putting the mill inside my office in the work shop so the computer won't overheat. In order to do that I'll want a full enclosure around the mill with a bottom drain into a large coolant basin. (and a vent fan to the outdoors on the enclosure. Here is hoping the brake arrives before the mill. LOL.
    Bob La Londe

Last time I checked the tracking it was supposed to arrive today. When I get out to the shop I'll look it up and see if its still on-time.
    Bob La Londe

HA! The tracking still shows "estimated delivery" as today, but it also shows them putting it on a different truck in Illinois today. The odds of it showing up today or even tomorrow in Yuma, Arizona seems pretty slim. I don't know why trucking companies do that, but its annoying as heck. All trucking companies seem to do that though. I guess since they can't lie on their logbooks anymore they lie to their customers instead.
    Bob La Londe

Bob,
    Your giving us anxiety!
    Hope the mill arrived today. Please let us know if you have any questions about the setup.

Enjoy!

I probably will not set it up until the bending brake I ordered arrives. I want to build the base pan for the enclosure and place it on the stand before I set the machine. It will probably set in the shop for a week before it gets setup and run.
    Bob La Londe

Well, Friday is now looking like the soonest it will arrive. Paul with Charter Oak took the effort to call the trucking company and let me know. I didn't even ask him to. I have to say I appreciate that level of support from a vendor. I've been in business my whole life, have owned my own contracting company for over 20 years, and have worked in shipping and receiving in the past. I can tell you that much attention from a vendor is pretty rare. Vendors I've spent an order of magnitude more money with don't do that.
    Bob La Londe

Bob,
    We're keeping our fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'll let you know if I hear from the freight carrier.
    -Paul

05/15/14 Trailer unloaded at terminal in PHOENIX, AZ
    Its still 180 miles (+/-) away and sitting in somebody's warehouse. We can hope they truck it straight here tomorrow, but I bet they hand it off to a local carrier to jerk around for a couple more days.
    Bob La Londe

We may be in luck.
    From the freight rep this morning:
    "New Haven, CT

We can hope. LOL.
    Bob La Londe

Now I am hearing Monday 8-12. I talked to Bobbie Hehl at Freight Quote today. After I got a time and date (which hopefully they honor better than previous estimates) from some third party and I was waiting for her to finish up she just hung up on me. I've had stuff trucked across country before, and this is the longest delivery time I have ever had. Not Charter Oak's problem, but Bobbie might not want to give people any estimated delivery time at all in the future. She originally told me it should take about 5 days. The trucking company probably shouldn't include estimated delivery dates on their tracking page either. An estimate should atleast be close.

Tracking data available

Estimated Delivery: 5/13/2014

05/06/14 Appointment Pending
    05/06/14 Freight picked up from shipper location
    05/07/14 Trailer dispatched from CHICOPEE, MA to BOLINGBROOK, IL
    05/07/14 Trailer Closed - ready for dispatch
    05/09/14 Trailer arrived at terminal in BOLINGBROOK, IL
    05/09/14 Trailer unloaded at terminal in BOLINGBROOK, IL
    05/13/14 Trailer Closed - ready for dispatch
    05/13/14 Trailer dispatched from BOLINGBROOK, IL to PHOENIX, AZ
    05/15/14 Trailer arrived at terminal in PHOENIX, AZ
    05/15/14 Trailer unloaded at terminal in PHOENIX, AZ
    05/15/14 Trailer arrived at terminal in PHOENIX, AZ
    Not sure why it arrived in Phoenix twice yesterday, or why nothing happened with it today. LOL.

So... plan on 13+ days for delivery. No matter what the freight company or the freight expediter says. If it does actually arrive on Monday the estimate will have been off by 62%. Thats not an estimate by any definition I am familiar with. Personally, the time really isn't as annoying as being given wrong delivery estimates multiple times.
    Bob La Londe

Someone just stuck it on the wrong truck. It only took 5 or 6 days for mine to get to Phoenix. You just got the drivers from He--.

After trying to convince someone that the 1000 pound box really is the AC unit they ordered it will find it's way back and with any luck they will put it on the right truck.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Someone just stuck it on the wrong truck. It only took 5 or 6 days for mine to get to Phoenix. You just got the drivers from He--.

After trying to convince someone that the 1000 pound box really is the AC unit they ordered it will find it's way back and with any luck they will put it on the right truck.
    ArizonaVideo, You are running a Charter Oak mill? Cool. I think you might have mentioned that before, but my brain is getting full...
    Bob La Londe

Hi, I weep to think of the waiting time........some years back I bought a tool and cutter grinder from Reliable Tools (USA) on EBAY, and it took 5 days to get to my house in Melbourne, Australia.....that was by FEDEX air freight.

After searching for six months there was nothing under 2 grand on the OZ market for a cutter grinder.

A 10 amp 110/240 volt transformer cost me $50 extra.
    Ian.

Things that can go by post often are quite fast around the world. I get small things that go post from China in 5-9 days. Usually 2-3 days of that is to clear customs. Parts I have shipped to Australia Post express take about 5-7 days. Post Priority takes longer. Those are small items though. Larger items over 150 pounds in the US pretty much have to go by truck, and unless you pay a premium (an order of magnitude) more money for guaranteed delivery you get it when you get it, and you should be thankful and shut your mouth. LOL. Some truck lines are better than others. I've always complained about Estes and Yellow, but I have to be honest. They have always been only about 1-2 day late for delivery. My dad always complained about Roadway (the primary long haul line used for this delivery), but I had never had anything delivered by them before. We had a grocery store for over thirty years and a hardware store for 20, so we have had to deal with many truck lines when I was growing up. I just wasn't the one stressing over delivery times and handling of the goods back then. It was my dad's headache. I just ran the forklift when it got there. Its kind of funny actually. I've been a licensed contractor for over 20 years now myself, and I've had a lot of truck freight deliveries over the years, but this is the first one handled by Roadway and Freight Quote. I have to say though, if they had just said it was going to take 2 weeks to begin with I wouldn't be half as irritated.

Nothing personal Paul, but I think if I buy another mill from you I'll hire my own freight line. Maybe I'll wander over to the local Conway depot and see what a personal handshake and a case of beer can do for handling. LOL. Conway has always been pretty good to me compared to other freight lines, and they don't consider making a phone call or two an inconvenience like some. Atleast not the local guys.
    Bob La Londe

Bob,
    I apologize for the shipping disaster.
    Here is what I got from them this morning:
    BOL 58669223 – New Haven, CT – Yuma, AZ – Carrier is reporting shipment is ‘Out to Deliver’ today, Mon., 05-19, under Delivery arrangement/appointment allotted with destined
    Let's hope it's true. Please let me know if it's not.
    -Paul

Attachment 236966
    Woo! Hoo! It arrived. I had it shipped to a buddy's warehouse for convenience. I hauled it back to my shop a little bit ago.

It is very well crated up. I think it will take me a while just to uncrate and unload it so I can check it all out. Even so, somebody hit it with a forklift at some point. I don't think it damaged the contents, but the marks are there. They don't look like they penetrated the shell. Atleast not by much.

Attachment 236970Attachment 236972

I have to say again it is very well packaged. The guys at Charter Oak did a very good job with that.

That is one big box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Box.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	236974
    Bob La Londe

Page 1 of 10 123