584,812 active members*
5,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 10 8910

Re: ANXIETY - New Charter Oak Machine

Would a belleville washer under the screw head be a better option? They are highly recommended in combating vibration in wiring. And they look a lot better and more professional than wire nuts. At least to my eye.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RustedOut View Post
    Would a belleville washer under the screw head be a better option? They are highly recommended in combating vibration in wiring. And they look a lot better and more professional than wire nuts. At least to my eye.

Bob
    I had a long response type out, and then decided you might take it wrong. I had not heard of bellvilles on a barrier strip before. Its an interesting idea. In this case I'll go with function over form and use the wire nuts in a J-box that might never be opened again for the entire life of the machine. I might even go so far as to tape the wires together to act as a strain relief. LOL. Old and simple methods work.

It might be a "prettier" option though.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob, keep posting, I, as well as others who so desire, have learned a great deal from this thread. BTW, I'm running TTS and very pleased with it. While Tormach only offers, as I recall, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in inch sizes, I've supplemented them with ER32 collets and 3/4" straight shank holders. I've ordered PathPilot as a possible replacement for Mach3, but am disappointed that at present it doesn't support my Vista Pendant.

John, I haven't used the TKCNC lately. I got my Hurco KMB1 working again a while back, and I recent got a Syil X4 Speedmaster from Charter Oak. Those two machines have been doing all of my work for quite some time, and I have had both of them cutting jobs at the same time on multiple occasions over the last few weeks. I have to be honest. I haven't even turned the TKCNC on in a couple months. Its ok for what it is, but I have started stripping it down to reconfigure it a little more specifically for my needs. I've decided I need another high speed spindle machine more than just a large format machine. I intend to replace the Z axis ball screw with a dual double nut screw, and substantially lighten the head by removing everything from it and cutting a sleeve to fit a high speed spindle cartridge instead. Lightening the head is one of the things the necessitates going to a double nut as the weight won't always pull it down against the backlash anymore. The X&Y already have double nut screws. The 24K spindle on the X4 produces some of my jobs "SO" fast that I am dying for a larger format machine with a 24K spindle with a little larger tool holder. (ER20) That means I am going away from quick change, but with it removing material so much faster I won't mind. My net time will be more profitable. I'm also going to upgrade the oiling system. I'll put on an automatic electric oiler with oil proportioning devices to each point. I think MY Z ways were not getting the oil they deserved. For ordinary milling it probably got enough, but for the short travel high cycle rate 3D milling I do I think I was putting to much load on to little oil.

Since I am totally changing the machine I don't see where I can add much more to this thread.

At the moment I am part way through totally disassembling the entire machine just to check everything.

I was planning to use this machine to build some hybrid machines, but I think I'll do that on the Hurco instead. Its only 24" by 14" as opposed to 30 (with over travel) by 12 of the TKCNC, but I can setup jigs and fixtures that will allow me to cut larger pieces easily enough.

I have not ever had a small company take as much effort to keep me happy as Charter Oak. If I buy another new machine I will certainly keep them high on the list for consideration.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Page 10 of 10 8910