585,758 active members*
4,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Alarm code 133- Spindle locked on VF-3

Alarm code 133- Spindle locked on VF-3

I have a 1994 VF-3 that decided to stop this AM with alarm code 133- spindle locked.
    It ran fine until today.Today it ran one part, now this.
    What's causing this alarm ???
    What needs attention ??
    Thanks for any help.

Re: Alarm code 133- Spindle locked on VF-3

It means that the spindle lock pin shows engaged. Did you read the manual?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

While I posted this query, I was looking through my manual, and then did a thread search for similar issues.
    I located a switch associated with the spindle lock on the RH side of the head. This appears to be activated by a piston or rod projecting from a block with air connections(?).
    I checked the old switch for continuity, and it seemed OK; but replaced it with a new one anyway.
    Programming a MO3 S500 in MDI started the spindle no problem.
    Thought I had it fixed; but when the machine did a programmed tool change, I got the same alarm again.
    What I don't know now is, is that pin SUPPOSED to be IN or OUT with the spindle stopped; and then, what is it about a tool change that triggers this alarm ???

Quote Originally Posted by pa2262 View Post
    While I posted this query, I was looking through my manual, and then did a thread search for similar issues.
    I located a switch associated with the spindle lock on the RH side of the head. This appears to be activated by a piston or rod projecting from a block with air connections(?).
    I checked the old switch for continuity, and it seemed OK; but replaced it with a new one anyway.
    Programming a MO3 S500 in MDI started the spindle no problem.
    Thought I had it fixed; but when the machine did a programmed tool change, I got the same alarm again.
    What I don't know now is, is that pin SUPPOSED to be IN or OUT with the spindle stopped; and then, what is it about a tool change that triggers this alarm ???

Make sure that the switch you are referencing is toggling in the diagnostics page. The pin is what locates the spindle for proper orientation so that the tool change can happen. So the pin wil be engaged with the ring during tool change. The alarm is bing generated because the machine thinks that the pin in still engaged when it not supposed to be.

Hope this helps.

OK; I figured out what the scenario is. The pin pops in under air pressure to lock the spindle. It pops out and actuates the switch to let the machine know it's out.
    The pin is slightly tapered at the end, and the switch roller JUST catches the full diameter with the pin out as far it will go.
    I tweaked the mounting bracket just a hair to see if it made a difference, and it did. The switch was working.
    Then after a tool change I crawled up to see if things were OK , and the pin hadn't pushed past the switch roller.
    That's when I realized there was a small bit of air hissing from around the pin. I used some 10 wgt spindle oil to lubricate the pin, pushing it in and out.
    The hissing just about disappeared, and the pin pops past the roller no problem now.
    But I can see that that block needs new seals or completely replaced.
    Can it be reconditioned ????