584,833 active members*
5,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to go about it?

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this sort of question? I want to create the attached image in hardwood with a cnc router. The dia is 200mm. I see the issue being how to create the triangular pocket. Looking for a suggested methodology, as in would doing it in two parts and glueing them together be the only recourse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardwood clasp.JPG  

Re: How to go about it?

What sort of router are you using for this? Does it have a 4th axis? Without that, you'll have difficulty reaching all the surfaces you've modeled with your tool, if you try to cut it in one piece. In most woods, this part won't have much strength, unless you start by bending the blank on a half-cylindrical form. Gluing it up from two or more pieces would help with that, if you can devise joints that are strong enough to hold them together.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you Awerby, I thought as much. I have an Axiom 3 axis router. The curved section would be carved out of a segmented (finger joint) profiles forming a half circle polygon. That would be easy. Then I'm thinking to clamp the profile on ends (as shown), and build a curved profile jig for a trim router to machine the pocket.

If the inside of the "triangle" shape does not have to be recessed, it would be very simple. Just rotate it 90 deg and cut it out in one step with tabs. If you need the recessed triangle, you can simply do that with a second cut process. A simple custom jig to hold the item/material after the first main cut so you can cut the triangle recess/pocket and you can knock these out quickly.

Yes I understand your idea coherent. It's gantry height Z axis, where I get into trouble. The attached image was indicatively 100mm high, but the real life scenario is 220mm high. I've got 150mm to play with on the machine. However, if I inserted a construction joint, it could be doable? Thanks