585,975 active members*
4,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: BobArt ??????s

I think next time I'll change the last toolpath to Z level finish. This is what I used.

Advance rough with a shaped stock: 3/4"- 3flute upshear rougher/hogger, 16k rpm, 3/8"x3/8" steps, 1200ipm.
    Planer semirough: 1/2"- 4flute upshear ballnose, 16k rpm, .15" stepover, 900ipm.
    Planer finish 0 degree: 1/4"- 4flute upshear ballnose, 18.5k rpm, .03" stepover, 750ipm.
    Planer finish 90 degree: 1/4"- 4flute upshear ballnose, 18.5k rpm, .03" stepover, 750ipm.

Definitely can use some clean out with an 1/8" ballnose. Maybe a Z level pass with a bottom limit of .5" would keep the bit from crashing.

I'll upload video if someone gives me some pointers.

Forrest

"Advance rough with a shaped stock: 3/4"- 3flute upshear rougher/hogger, 16k rpm, 3/8"x3/8" steps, 1200ipm"

Geez Forrest,that don't sound like a "hobby" machine

Nice Job

Rule of thumb that I have heard is for finish passes with Ball EM,use 8 to 10 percent step-over.

Nice work. I can't wait for the Vid. I don't know what pointers you are looking for , for the video. Post it on Youtube abd put op a link.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Nice looking piece! What kind of machine are you running? Those numbers are impressive, to say the least. 0.o

If you need to stitch the videos together, download them to a computer, open Windows Movie Maker, (it's included with Windows, on I think Vista and later), and drag & drop them in order into it. From the Edit tab, you can set trim points, then save it as a Youtube format. If you want to just post the files individually, you can send them straight to Youtube, as they're already in the right format. You'll need to open a Youtube account, if you don't already have one. (Any Google account will work, I think. That's about it. Once they're uploaded to Youtube, you can insert video into a post more easily than even inserting pictures, since you just paste in a link.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Okay now we are getting somewhere. I didn't notice all these videos are on youtube. I'll get right on it.

My machine is a 5x12 Thermwood fixed gantry with about 8" of Z clearance. The 10.5hp motor really allows me to hog the material when needed. It rapids at 2500ipm and I can cut at up to 1500ipm. When cutting something like a big piece of mdf molding I might step over .5" and down .75" and still run 1200ipm. Makes a heck of a mess though because no collector on the planet can suck up the stream of dust shooting 15 feet off of it.

I think it would be a great idea if we have a sub forum to list our capabilities both machine wise and software. That way if a job comes our way that we can outsource to another member we don't have to pass it over. Many times I have the machine time available but can't put together the design so I have to pass it over. I would give discounts to other members for my machine time.

I have a personal project coming up that will require multiaxis toolpaths which I do not have. When the time comes I may want to outsource that instead of paying for the upgrade.

I'm in Anderson SC so maybe if any of you are close and want to see some stuff run come on by.

Forrest

Still working on the videos.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Ok guys, I know the thread is old but we need your updates, Gallchobhair!)) Have you uploaded any videos since then (2014)? I have just started my "career" and am already so lost in it. I mean I tried to download windows movie maker but it seems to me way too complicated, yeah I can admit I'm not the smartest and fastest at learning something new, but still... Any advice on an easy software?

Quote Originally Posted by DenisDinkledj View Post
    Ok guys, I know the thread is old but we need your updates, Gallchobhair!)) Have you uploaded any videos since then (2014)? I have just started my "career" and am already so lost in it. I mean I tried to download windows movie maker but it seems to me way too complicated, yeah I can admit I'm not the smartest and fastest at learning something new, but still... Any advice on an easy software?
    Wow, really such an old thread buddy, how did you find it? . Ok, directly answering your question. I would advise you to look for online video editors maybe something like https://www.fastreel.com/video-maker.html or https://wideo.co. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 12