584,830 active members*
5,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

BobArt ??????s

So guys I'm the proud owner of V26 3Xpro with BA and BN and have been running thru the tuts but haven't found an answer to this yet.

I have purchased an stl file to use but I want to smooth it out. If you look closely at the shield you can see the surface is very rough. When I try to use the smoothing function nothing happens. I am selecting the geometry. Maybe some of you can give me the proper steps.

Thanks, Forrest

I tried attaching the zip file but it is over 20 mb.

Re: BobArt ??????s

Think you are limited to translate,rotate,and scale for .stl models in BoB.
    I believe there are other products out there that can manipulate .stl files.
    I will let others comment on them.

Here's a quick video showing the basic workflow for bringing a .stl file into BobArt as an Embossment, then running a Smoothing pass on it. Without seeing your file, I'm not sure where the problem lies, but the process is fairly straightforward. You'll want to look at the .stl file in BobCAD, and scale it to a size appropriate to the final part. It's possible to scale it during the transfer to BobArt, but the controls are really meant for stretching or squishing, and you don't have an easy, "Make it 50% smaller" option, like in BobCAD's <Translate> function.

Hope that's helpful.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Another reason I am upgrading,Forgot about the upgrades to BoBART that came towards the middle or end of V25,that I missed out on.

Hi Trot, many thanks for the time you took for the video. I had actually already gotten to that point and figured out how to use smoothing. Maybe its just me but this file seems to have very rough surfacing. I'm thinking its going to add a ton of machine time.

After I'm done with the model and toolpath what is the best way to save it? I seem to have saved it a few times but the file is incomplete when I reopen it.

If you want to take a look at it I can send you a dropbox link.

Thanks, Forrest

I usually just save them as .bbcd files. I don't recall having any problems with that. Sometimes, if I want to add different things together, I'll save as a Component (.stl) file from within BobArt, but that's only been a few times, really.

Regarding the surface roughness of the model, I'd have to see it up close to get an idea how to deal with it. Something I've tried successfully before is multiple light smoothing passes. Keeping the window value small makes it affect gross forms less, and 2-3 of those passes can knock down fine roughness without softening the larger structures quite as much as a single stronger pass would.

Smoothing is generally a "feel" thing for me. There's also a manual Smoothing tool under the Sculpting Function, that lets you selectively smooth things. I've used that one, on lithophanes, to blur, or "soften focus" on the backgrounds, simulating shallow depth of field camera lenses. It's pretty sneaky.

Luke

Great tutorial- thanks
    However in V25 my emboss from component is grayed out as is save as a stl. Was this an upgrade?

rflint

Quote Originally Posted by rflint View Post
    Great tutorial- thanks
    However in V25 my emboss from component is grayed out as is save as a stl. Was this an upgrade?

rflint

It is flint.That is exactly what I was referring to above.In V26 it is included along with some other enchantments in BoBART.

rflint, There was a new version, BobArt Pro, that came out roughly halfway through V25's run. That's when Components were added. Component/.stl was one of two major changes. The other was allowing user-defined cross sections for Embosses They're pretty nice additions, so if they look like something you'd use a lot, it might be worth checking with BobCAD to get an upgrade price.

Luke

I've been playing around with the sculpting tool with some success. It seems it would work better if it used a box area right under the pointer. All in all a pretty cool tool.

Forrest

Looking at the .stl file you sent, Forrest C, there are two ways I'd normally approach smoothing the shield. The first would be to trace the outline, then make an embossment from the trace that's slightly higher than the shield, and just pave over it. In this case, though, the shield isn't flat in the X-Y plane, but slopes down from the top to the bottom. It's doable, but pretty complicated.

The second way is to use the sculpting tool's Smooth function, as you've been playing with. A few things to mention about the tool. I generally use a small brush, (maybe 0.25" in this case) at a medium power setting, (say, 0.1), to outline places I don't want to smooth, like the lion. Then I make the brush bigger, (0.5 or so), and raise the power, (0.2), to flatten the bigger areas. In this case, importing the .stl model into BobArt did a little global smoothing, so there's less roughness on the Embossment than the .stl to begin with.

When using the Sculpting tools, the undo button undoes everything that you just did while the mouse button was depressed, so it's a good idea to avoid holding it down for long periods. You'll wipe out 30sec. of work to fix a 1sec mistake, which is annoying. Another thing is that the brush location gets weird when the view is anything but straight down. I tilt to have a look at what I'm doing, then snap the view back to vertical to do more sculpting.

Working with BobArt is really a lot of fun, and it's very powerful, once you get used to the toolset. You're on the right track with this one, I think. Have fun!

Luke

I started out trying to do crest from stl's now I have a different method. I hope to cut this this week. Everything I learned , I learned from the guys on this forum. From the Tuts , from the afterdark website and youtube. Trotline has many videos on youtube. I am still working through his stuff.

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    Looking at the .stl file you sent, Forrest C, there are two ways I'd normally approach smoothing the shield. The first would be to trace the outline, then make an embossment from the trace that's slightly higher than the shield, and just pave over it. In this case, though, the shield isn't flat in the X-Y plane, but slopes down from the top to the bottom. It's doable, but pretty complicated.

The second way is to use the sculpting tool's Smooth function, as you've been playing with. A few things to mention about the tool. I generally use a small brush, (maybe 0.25" in this case) at a medium power setting, (say, 0.1), to outline places I don't want to smooth, like the lion. Then I make the brush bigger, (0.5 or so), and raise the power, (0.2), to flatten the bigger areas. In this case, importing the .stl model into BobArt did a little global smoothing, so there's less roughness on the Embossment than the .stl to begin with.

When using the Sculpting tools, the undo button undoes everything that you just did while the mouse button was depressed, so it's a good idea to avoid holding it down for long periods. You'll wipe out 30sec. of work to fix a 1sec mistake, which is annoying. Another thing is that the brush location gets weird when the view is anything but straight down. I tilt to have a look at what I'm doing, then snap the view back to vertical to do more sculpting.

Working with BobArt is really a lot of fun, and it's very powerful, once you get used to the toolset. You're on the right track with this one, I think. Have fun!

Luke
    Usually when I'm going to start working with smoothing and sculpting, I want to try and get the stock resolution cranked up a bit more too. It DOES make for a heavier model, but "better resolution and smooth" kindof go together....

I'm getting ready to machine this in an hour and I have a couple questions for those that have cut anything like this. I have created a few different toolpaths with the last 2 being a planer with 1/4" ballnose. I'm afraid the detail won't be great enough down in the tight places but I'm limited with a short 1/8" ballnose. This particular part doesn't lend itself to cleaning up the corners very well. Any suggestions?

Forrest

Please post pictures of the finished project. I may have missed it what size is it. I just do planar toolpaths so far. I have not cut many things yet. I have done mostly engraving on acrylic. Hope to be doing Coat of Arms and other wood projects soon. You say you are limited with a short 1/8 ballnose. how deep is this project.How many tool paths do you have.I usually have 3 rough , semi-finish and finish.
    Wait for the pro's don't go by anything I say I am new .

Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Its 24x25x2.5" deep. So far not to bad. I need to see if I can do a waterline type finish path almost like a zlevel because where the 1/2" ballnose doesn't get down in the deep spots the 1/4" ballnose just plunges right in and I'm afraid its going to break. I've got some video and pics I'll post a little later.

Forrest

Whats the easiest software to combine all the cellphone videos into one? Forrest

I use widows movie maker. Free and pretty easy. You say you are 2.5 inches deep I feel good at .125 to .250. Like I say I have not done much. Mostly small things. Can,t wait to see it.

Don

I use Windows Movie Maker, too. It's basic, but I mostly do simple cutting-room edits. It'll stitch together your videos no problem. Look forward to seeing it!

Luke

It took 9 hours starting at 9pm. I had to leave it at 5am before I fell over. The shield surface is wacky and it definitely would be better if there was an 1/8" cleanup but all in all not a bad job.

Forrest

By the way my 3 minute cell videos are 300mb or more in MP4 format. What should I do?

Page 1 of 2 12