585,875 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Geof thanks, looked it up and you need (at least here) a business license issued at the municipal level for specific items such as most retail, automotive, etc. but nothing for general office/industrial. to Rob's point, if its municipal, it may well be tied to zoning - have you checked that you need a license for you type of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    Geof thanks, looked it up and you need (at least here) a business license issued at the municipal level for specific items such as most retail, automotive, etc. but nothing for general office/industrial. to Rob's point, if its municipal, it may well be tied to zoning - have you checked that you need a license for you type of business?

No not yet, I just pretty much assumed I did. But I will check it out. Thanks- Robbie
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have never had a Municipal licence. And don't plan to get one. It used to be more important when you had to submit your own property taxes, but now the landlord has to submit the taxes. It only becomes an issue if you own your own building and the town/city knows what your up to. For instance if you are in a high visibility area and have a big sign they will enforce zoning regulations. Automotive related shops are only permitted in certian areas around here and it's hard to conceal that type of thing. Machining businesses typically don't need big exposure on a main road and such. so you have more options(the rent is cheaper to) All of our customers are either word of mouth, yellow pages, or cold calls. We have a small sign on the door of our 2,500 sq. ft. and thats all we need. We aren't trying to hide, but you come to realize you don't need every tom dick and harry coming through the door either. if you are in a garage and don't bother anyone, they won't bother you.
    Crashing Sucks!
    www.reliancemachine.com

When naming your company, try to describe what you are doing. I like to stay away from names like associates, consultants. Associated for what? Consultanting regarding what? If your a machine shop, call yourselves a machine shop, try to give the customer a chance to know what you are doing just by the title of the company name.
    BTW, I aint been to college. Been in business since 1982..
    Regards Walt
    PS I agree with the insurances, accountants and registering with the township and or city you are going to set up your business in.

Heres a short informative thread about choosing a business name:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7046

Incorporate!

It can be relatively inexpensive. for example, the last time I checked it was $25 per year to incorporate in delaware and the only thing you needed was a post box to prove you had a legal delaware address (here in Mass it's $200 per year). Once your incorporated then the business is a legal entity, so if anything goes wrong and you get sued, it's the businesses fault, not yours. So they can take your CNC and your business bank accounts (which of course you keep relatively empty), but not your house, because you (Robbie) own the house, the business (CNCRob Inc.) doesn't own the house.

Better yet (and this part is only half serious and half tongue in cheek), go to http://www.ulc.org/. Sign up for your free ordiantion and then see if there is any way to work your business into your ministery. Then it's tax free too. I know people who have done it with other part time jobs and it works for them. Been an ordained minister myself now since '95. Haven't had the balls to try and take it off my taxes yet. But that day will come.

lol...I love it!

Thanks Diarmaid
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Small Business - Where to start

It's amazing to start your own company, and you'll love it, but before deciding what you want to do, you will probably want to give prospective companies a reality check.

Unfortunately, since there's a lot of competition, T-Shirts are a very poor idea, which will keep the profit margin down to where you really can't make much money. Notice that maybe this might not be the case everywhere. If you're the only place for a T-shirt 200 miles away, you may be able to do it. But before you go and spend a lot of money, it's worth investigating.

You'll find a lot of creditors trying to unload t-shirts from their t-shirt companies that didn't make it, if you do a little googling.
    You can do really well if you can come up with a product or service that's under-served or badly done or totally absent in your region.

You'll be better off consulting with the Chamber of Commerce in your region for particular legal specifications. It's a smart idea they should have. It differs according to country/state/country/town/etc. You would need to pay sales tax at the very least, which typically means registering with the sales tax office, but certain places have extra requirements.

Page 2 of 2 12