585,764 active members*
4,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Aspire > Need help deciding on how to set up tool paths for a complicated vector graphic

Need help deciding on how to set up tool paths for a complicated vector graphic

Right from the start I wanted to do this as a series of profiles and pockets, but the more I looked at it (the frame area, particularly), the more confused I got as to how I would do that. Eventually I just extruded the vectors, capped them and turned it into a 3D model, which I cut at about 16 x 13 inches. I used three different sized bits, from 1/8" for roughing to 1/32" for a second finish pass, but the G code has the machine acting like a sewing machine, bobbing up and down as it moves across the image, and the end result was rough. Not terrible, but not professional looking, either. I think that sweeping cuts along the vectors would solve this, but I need advice on how to set it up. Particuarly the frame area, where the vectors are all closed and fairly close together, but not uniformly so, and I need to carve out the area between the vectors (outside the individual vectors), and not within them, leaving those areas raised. Because they aren't uniformly spaced, I can't just tell the router to profile around each one as it won't get everything. Any thoughts on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sdQTbEM.png  

Re: Need help deciding on how to set up tool paths for a complicated vector graphic

Draw another vector around everything and pocket that vector, with all the detail vectors as islands.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Need help deciding on how to set up tool paths for a complicated vector graphic

Thanks Gerry. Having played around with that, it looks like I either need to scale it up and cut it out of a larger panel, or get some really tiny bits!