585,560 active members*
3,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Sabre 750 axis foldback error

Sabre 750 axis foldback error

We have a sabre 750. Beginning of the week went to start the machine and during alignment developed this error. Axes drive foldback overload error. Stating that a axis is overloaded such as to heavy of a feedrate and a overload for more than 2 secs. We have a 4th axis which the owner has left the chuck wrench in about 3 times in the last month and snapped the handle right off, but has ran it since then. I have removed the rotary axis from the control and completely unhooked from the machine. I have checked both x and y ball screws and the motors both turn free.Spoke with Mark Nichols and tried swapping around a few relays, and unplugging the four wires that would be associated with this foldback error, to see if it would clear itself, but nothing so far.

Does anyone have any ideas to check before calling in the big guns??
    Thanks Mark

Re: Sabre 750 axis foldback error

Please tell us which control you have and what year of manufacture. There are a couple of members that are very good with these mills.

Not sure which drive package you have, but typically in a foldback situation, the drive which is faulting will indicate the foldback either by illuminating a Foldback light (on the BDS4 drives) or indicating a foldback alarm on the display (Acramatic Servo drives). By looking at which drive is faulting it will tell you which axis you need to be looking at. Once you know which axis is at fault, it's easier to narrow down the cause (motor, drive or cable)

In some cases the fault indicator will disappear when the drives return to their "normal" undervolt condition, so you may need to watch the drives while someone powers it up.

Thanks
    The problem is very intermittent. I started the machine and had the error right away. After letting the machine sit for 15 minutes or so the error could be cleared and the machine aligns no problem I move all axes and walk away with the machine just sitting there and within a few minutes the error occurs again, this same pattern has happened about 4 times. Also one time I was running a warmup prog all axes running and spindle , ran for about 10 minutes and error came back . As you mentioned I have to have someone else monitor the lights on the drives because every time I go back there every drive shows healthy and no foldback lights are on.

Thanks
    Mark

The control is the Acramatic 2100
    serial # 7029-AOB-98-1553
    Model # ERO
    Control Design # 91203577

Thanks
    Mark

Do you know the make and model of the axis drive which are giving you the error? How is the airflow inside the cabinet that houses these drives?

Given the age of the machine, if the drives have never been rebuilt you will get intermittent errors.

Which drive

Gotta find which drive is doing it.

Consider phone camera record ing bk at drives to catch the fault...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk