585,975 active members*
4,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Got my lathe today..

Lathe showed up today.. serial number 007 actually it is 10007 but since I doubt they made 10000 of them already it must be number 7..

It is pretty massive compared to a typical 7x hobby lathe. Got the electrical done today so just waiting for the inspector to come before I hook it up as I do not want him to give me crap about UL listings or anything. I did get it off the pallet without the lifting kit by using a jack and some 2x4's but it was a pain so it might be worth the $170 for the kit. There are some switches that are not hooked up and I have yet to find instructions on where to place them but I have not looked hard yet and they might be self explanatory but I figured this info would be in the manual and I did not see it there.

I will post more info and pics when I can.

Tim

Re: Got my lathe today..

awesome. Hope it will be worth teh extended wait.

Looking forward to seeing some decent photos and videos...

Can you measure the width of the bed, and let us know what it is.

Wondered when someone was going to start setting one up!
    Looking forward to reading and seeing more about this tool system.
    thanks for posting!
    md

I ordered mine yesterday. I still haven't been able to get a solid answer on the air closers. They told me they were going to be JFK Precision closers and that there were some there, but they aren't listed on the website. The manual makes a statement about an air cylinder control for the lever action closer...so I'm fairly confused. I'm thinking about buying the Royal closer and long nose chuck system instead. JFK closers are a lot cheaper though...but the nose on the Royal gives some clearance for gang operations

Can you buy it without the "controller" pc, like you can the 1100/770?

I notice that the "regular order" page is almost live on their website, and it doesn't give you an option not to select the controller.

What kind of lead time did they give you for delivery?

You can't order without the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    Lathe showed up today.. serial number 007 actually it is 10007 but since I doubt they made 10000 of them already it must be number 7..
    Very cool; I'm also looking forward to pictures and videos.

What sort of tooling system did you go with - QCTP, gang, or both?

Mike

I went with the QCTP for now although I want the tool changer eventually but did not want to wait any longer.

From what I have surmised there where 10 lathes on the initial batch for the pre-order and the others are on a ship headed this way but I could be completely wrong.

I should have it up and running by the middle of this coming week and will post more info then.

I went with the QCTP for now although I want the tool changer eventually but did not want to wait any longer.
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I really want the tool turret, but it looks like that won't be available until mid to late summer and might have work for it much sooner than that. I'm looking through the Tormach store listings now, trying to figure out what gang tooling might cost and how much of it might be usable in a turret configuration. Apparently there is enough room on the crosslide for the turret, the QCTH and maybe a bit of gang tooling.

Have you decided if you will be using SprutCAM, some other CAM, or the included conversational wizards for programming the lathe? The screen looked really good to me, but I didn't spend much time with the wizards as I should have during the demo.

Mike

I have not powered it up yet so I am not sure how that will all work out for me. With my current converted lathe I just hand write G code or use it like a manual lathe which is probably what I will do at first but I am trying to get Tormach to send me the Sprutcam post so I can start learning that as well.

I did a bit of CNC turning with the Duality lathe and most of the parts I had didn't lend themselves very well to hand coding for someone of my skill in that area so I expect to use the wizards, but preferably SC 8.. As I recall I just used the standard Lathe ZX machine definition with the Duality, but don't remember what post I used. Looks like there was a PCNC_MachTurn post in SC7 but I don't see anything like that in SC 8. I don't suppose that the PCNCMasterPostSC81.2 would work for the lathe as that far predates even the beta for the Slant Pro.

Mike

There is a skill builder video posted by tormach showing sprut doing a lathe operations. So they must have some sort of post available.
    I would also want use sprutcam for most of my work. The conversation part would be ok, Im not big on standing around and hitting keys.
    For me drawing the model and designing the tool paths in advance for a complete plan and cam model is how I like to work.
    Besides I have a lot invested in computers and software tools to not use them at every point I can.
    md

Looks like that skill builder lathe video doesn't take the student through using the post processor so there may not be a Tormach Slant Bed lathe post for SprutCAM. I looked through the available posts in SC 8 and Tormach's download site and it doesn't look like there is any new SC post for the Tormach lathe yet. Hopefully they are working on it.

Mike

An update: 10,300 is not the number. You must also add $485 for the chuck guard, $715 for the computer/controller, and $46 for an oiler. So the real base price is $11546 without any work holding/chuck.

Don't forget to add freight as well - that's probably another $500 or so, especially for residential lift gate service.

I did a quick "wish list" and came up with about $14k for a pretty well equipped QC lathe. I expect my final total will be a bit higher after a few more things are added in.

Mike

Freight to Washington state was over $1000 but arrived fast. Electrical inspector came and I am close to powering it up now.

I'm not complaining about the cost. I have well over 15K cash invested in it now with SOME tooling, collet closer, etc. I'm just a little miffed by their marketing it as a base price of 10.3 when it's really 11.5. Obviously freight is extra and should always be assumed so. (only $350 for me).

I agree.. if you must buy certain options then that should be included in the base price.

Got it running and moving except I cannot get it to jog with the keyboard arrows but I can via the MDI.. not sure why yet.

Freight to Washington state was over $1000 but arrived fast.
    sweet. You are only an hour away, when can I stop by for a demo

$1000? Ouch. Maybe I should take a road trip to WI... and pick up an 1100 while I am at it...

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    sweet. You are only an hour away, when can I stop by for a demo

$1000? Ouch. Maybe I should take a road trip to WI... and pick up an 1100 while I am at it...
    You pick that mill or lathe up in Nevada, or Wi and you get to pay local sales tax!, Add that to cost of hauling it and delivery is easy choice.
    Sorry for off subject comment !

How about some pictures !
    md

Page 1 of 4 123