585,712 active members*
4,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Optional Stop will not disengage!

Optional Stop will not disengage!

Hello fellow cnc pros...I have a Fadal 4020 with a CNC88 control, (1996 model), and the control/machine is stuck in optional stop. We checked the switch and it is ok, traced the wires to the plug at the circuit board and there are no loose or broken wires. As I understand from reading the Fadal manual, the optional stop switch is not even supposed to affect the machine UNLESS the M01 code is present in the program. My cnc buddy has used this machine a number of times since he bought it, and said he always used the machine in optional stop mode (with the switch in optional stop ON position). He never tried it any other way because all his programs were simple and quick. Now that I am using the machine for longer runs and/or multiple tool changes, I have discovered that this was probably a problem when he bought the machine. As I said, the optional stop is not supposed to work UNLESS the program has the M01 code present. We can still use the machine, it is just a pain if you want to do something else while the machine is running but instead you have to be at the machine to press START to continue after each tool change. Any ideas, anyone? Thank you...hope to hear from someone soon.

Re: Optional Stop will not disengage!

It is highly suspicious that it only happens right after a tool change. There's nothing else that could really cause this but a software choice to do so. Also, the optional stop switch is kinda decieving in that when it is on / up position, that is when it WILL NOT execute an M01. when the switch is in the down / off position it WILL execute an M01. The switch should be labeled 'optional stop ignore'

Also, make sure your post isn't spitting out M01's at each toolchange. that isn't necessary. here's a typical tool change in format 2:

N1664 G00 Z1.75
    N1665 M90
    N1666 M09
    N1667 M05

N2 G90 G17 G40 G80 G00
    N1668 T5 M06 *3FL 0.375 in Reduced Shank Endmill 0.2 depth in Al*
    N1670 G00 E1 G90 X2.3111 Y-0.5575 S5000 M03
    N1671 G43 H5 Z2. M07

you can also program a G00 G53 Z0 before you call the tool with M06 T## to avoid issues where the tool raises up too high if your fixture offset isn't 0.0000 in Z.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiteral View Post
    I have discovered that this was probably a problem when he bought the machine. As I said, the optional stop is not supposed to work UNLESS the program has the M01 code present.
    So, if you didn't program an M01, then there is something up not related to the optional stop switch. Does the control give any other messages? If there are problems with your air supply it may cause the machine to sit, but it would give you an error message. Could also be some of the sensor(s) involved in the tool change like the eddy current proximity sensors that let the machine know if things are in position like the sliding arm of the tool changer. I am unsure of what happens if those don't work right and ideally there'd be an error message. You can look at all the machine's relay positions using the diagnostic pages to see when things are a 1 or a 0 (on/off).

I've had issues before where the machine entered single step mode and caused a feed hold when it's cold outside - has something to do with the keyboard being sticky / making erroneous signals?

Also, maybe the previous owner rigged up the machine to do this using the relays - don't trust a used machine until you yourself have gone over every little detail. you never know what people have done and usually it's not brilliant.

One way to kill any software issues would be to completely reinitialize the software / memory. You need to write down all your SETP settings, and backlash settings / store any programs from memory prior to doing so because you will lose everything. You don't want to mess up the SETP page stuff it could really cause havok so take pictures of each menu page first.

from user Acrodoc:
    "After installing the new software mod do a Zero memory. If you need the procedure go to FadalCNC,com drop down menu fadal university and look for zero memory procedure. Print it out (2 pages) and on 2nd page write down all the parameter info. This will clean the memory and takes only about 10 minutes. It also fixes a lot of little bugs. From Me and old Fadal tech"

that worksheet will help a lot with resetting the memory.

at any rate, good luck to you. in my experience problems like this are pretty much custom to your machine and you will have to troubleshoot it yourself. let us know what happens

With Opt Stop OFF, it ignores any M01, seems that it is stopping on an M00

Put the machine into Single Step & cycle thru a toolchange ( it may show the code associated when executing an M06 )
    You may have to edit the toolchange macro
    - if it is like a Fanuc control, you may have to change a parameter to view/edit a macro in the protected 9000 area

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    With Opt Stop OFF, it ignores any M01, seems that it is stopping on an M00
    Its in the fadal manuals that the up position means that it will not ignore M01 - that's why I said it's 'confusing' in that usually switches work like, up means on. read the manual