585,712 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Adding a coolant pump to my new lathe

Cool Adding a coolant pump to my new lathe

Now this is extreeme!

I wanted to add a coolant pump to my new lathe, so I drilled a 1" dia hole in the center of the chip pan! Then I placed a 5-gallon bucket with a "Little Giant" pump in it under the hole. But when I turned on the pump and let it flood the machinery, i noticed it was puddling in the ends, and not in the middle by the hole!

So I looked at it and scratched my head for a few minutes, then I reached into the bottom drawer of my tool chest, and grabbed my 3-ton Armstrong screw jacks! My idea was to bend the pan so the fluid will run to the middlle and out the hole!

I grabbed a 3/4" block of aluminum, and a 5/8" open end wrench, then proceeded to scratch my knuckels while positioning the jacks under the lathe bed and the aluminum block! This was extreem to to sa the least! I would never have thought I would be bending the chip pan while the lathe was attached!

When I realized the idea was working, I repositioned the jacks to various places along the center of the pan, creating a valley which tapered toward the hole!

When finished, I grabbed my level and re-checked the lathe bed, and it was still dead nuts! :cheers:

Another day in the life of a Widgitmaster! (chair)

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0683.JPG   000_0684.JPG   000_0685.JPG   000_0686.JPG  

000_0687.JPG   000_0688.JPG  

thats pretty slick, well done!

Make sure you're always running the pump with liquid in it- All centrifugal pumps require liquid always to be in the pump body to cool and lubricate the parts...I would use a butterfly valve to limit the amount being sucked in to avoid running it dry.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Burn
    Make sure you're always running the pump with liquid in it- All centrifugal pumps require liquid always to be in the pump body to cool and lubricate the parts...I would use a butterfly valve to limit the amount being sucked in to avoid running it dry.

I doubt that "Little Giant" pump on a gravity return system is going to burn up, as long as I remember to turn it off!

I bought a neet little knozzle with a valve and a magnetic base from Enco

Now my course knurling tool wil not over heat when knurling 303 SS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0689.JPG  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

I have seen it happen before...It isn't fun. In PC watercooling loops, the impeller melted.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Burn
    I have seen it happen before...It isn't fun. In PC watercooling loops, the impeller melted.
    Burn,
    I don't think the coolant pump system in my lathe has the same intensity of heat that a CPU chip cooling system puts out!
    By adding a coolant pump to my lathe, I can now run at faster sppeds and feeds and make nicer parts! No to mention my hands are free from having to put cutting oil on the part with a brush!
    I saw the CPU cooling manifolds you were making, and I think that is the only way to go; whereas, the processors are getting hotter as they make them faster!
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    Burn,
    I don't think the coolant pump system in my lathe has the same intensity of heat that a CPU chip cooling system puts out!
    By adding a coolant pump to my lathe, I can now run at faster sppeds and feeds and make nicer parts! No to mention my hands are free from having to put cutting oil on the part with a brush!
    I saw the CPU cooling manifolds you were making, and I think that is the only way to go; whereas, the processors are getting hotter as they make them faster!
    Eric
    Thanks. A lot of time and development has gone into them.

Actually it wasn't the heat generated by the CPU that caused the impeller to melt, it was the heat generated by the pump itself!

He has a 5 gallon bucket of coolant- HOW the hell is he going to run dry?

Where did you get the pump?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Green0
    Where did you get the pump?

I got it from Enco!

Model #505-3586
    Low Price: $48.36 ea

1-AA LITTLE GIANT PUMPS
    GPH: 170 @ 1'
    Power Cord Length: 3
    Amperage Rating: 1.1
    Horsepower: 1/200
    Outlet Size (Inch): 1/4
    Pressure: 3.0
    Material: Aluminum
    Manufacturer Part Number: 500000

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=505-3586

I bought one for my Bridgeport mill, but that will be another major project!

Eric

All I am saying is be careful!

I have a couple of the Litthe Giant pumps here, and use one on a homemade parts washer...
    the ones I have are internally filled with something similar to varsol, and will run cool without needing a fluid supply to the pump..
    I got these from a scrapped restaurant dishwasher, so they may be different than yours..
    The reason I had them apart was that the seal between the motor and the pump rotor kind of 'swelled' a bit when I used it to pump carb cleaner, and I had to take it apart to replace the seal..Little Giant didn't want to sell the seal seperately for this mode, but they would rebuild it if I shipped it to them..
    local Acklands had a seal that seemd to work ok for Varsol, and I remeber not to pump carb cleaner now...
    Running basically 'stalled' overnight didn't hurt the motor itself, by the way..

enjoy..

Here is a dumb newbe kinda question. when you run a coolant with your lathe or mill, what keeps the machined steel surfaces of you machine from rusting. is the coolant an oil or maybe like an automotive antifreeze with rust inhibitors in it? When you are done for the day do you have to clean and oil the whole machine or do you just leave it be? thanks, and excuse the hijack please.
    Doug

Cool

That is a good question, and definately not a dumb one!

Actually I bought the Synthetic Coolant, it mixes with tap water at 6oz / gallon, it has rust inhibitors in it! This coolant it water clear at first, and gets a little cloudy as the way lube gets mixed in! I have not had any rust, and this coolant dries leaving a sticky film of oil!

It works really good on aluminum, stainless, cast iron, steel and plexiglas!

Enco #325-6565, $36.16 per gallon of MISTIC-MIST concentrate, makes 30 gallons!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Perp
    ...what keeps the machined steel surfaces of you machine from rusting....Doug
    With nearly all the coolants if you mix them too dilute you will get rusting.

I think I'll order some of the Mistic Mist myself. I bought some other stuff from Enco and ferrous metals contaminate each other and cause severe rusting. I found out the hard way that I have to clean and oil thoroughly every day. Sounds like this stuff is a much better way to go.

Rick

Home Made Coolant

You can make a batch of home made coolant using the following recipe:

4 gallons of water, 1 quart of motor oil, 3 cups of dish liquid.

Of course motor oil and water don't mix well, the oil will separate to the top of the water. That's where the dish liquid comes in. The soap acts as a catalyst, allowing the oil molecules to blend with the water. Stir all three ingredients thorougly. If the finished product is a little sticky, you used too much dish liquid. If you notice rusting, then there needs to be more dish liquid.

If you use the ingerdients as shown, and mix them well, no problems should be encountered.