584,837 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y Counter removal

I've got an ancient Bridgeport Model 1 CNC mill. Is starting to do fine for my needs.

But...

On the front end of the Y ball screw is a neat little gear set and counter, which probably is meant to serve as a mechanical "DRO". I've never ever looked at it while working, except to confirm that it does turn. The electronic DRO in linuxCNC is a lot more effective.

Trouble is that this turns counter is just plain in the way when I'm trying to reach the Y+ side of the table. Would like to just remove this counter.

Wonder if BP ever made a plain flat front casting which covers the two pulley which drive the Y ballscrew? Other option might be to just clamp the front cover to the table and mill off the casting which encloses the counter, then put a cover (plex, perhaps) over the hole.

Anyone else ever gotten this radical with their machine?

Thanks.

Tom

Re: Y Counter removal

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    I've got an ancient Bridgeport Model 1 CNC mill.
    Tom, is this your BOSS 5 you are talking about?

If I remember correctly, the counter is the only thing that is in the casting you refer to. Without the counter, the casting is merely a cover. You could simply make a plate out of aluminum to replace the entire casting (I've seen pictures of somebody using their BOSS with the casting/counter completely removed and exposing the belt). That way, you still have all the counter hardware if you later want it back.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Tom, is this your BOSS 5 you are talking about?

If I remember correctly, the counter is the only thing that is in the casting you refer to. Without the counter, the casting is merely a cover. You could simply make a plate out of aluminum to replace the entire casting (I've seen pictures of somebody using their BOSS with the casting/counter completely removed and exposing the belt). That way, you still have all the counter hardware if you later want it back.
    Yes, it's the BOSS 5. Pulled the cover off, and there is a "gear" on the front end of the shaft. This "gear" drives the counter. I've never used the counter. Is anyone else actually using the counter for something? Haven't looked at the drawings, but it's my impression that the shaft the gear is mounted to is an extension of the near end of the ball screw, or possibly the shaft which drives the ball screw. Looks like I'll have to shorten that shaft somehow. Not a tough job, but it makes the project irreversible.

Tom

TarHeelTom

There is a 1/4" shaft that can be removed, on the end of the Ballscrew, you can pocket the front cover enough, or I used to machine the end back on the Ballscrew when I was rebuilding them, I will try & find a photo
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    TarHeelTom

There is a 1/4" shaft that can be removed, on the end of the Ballscrew, you can pocket the front cover enough, or I used to machine the end back on the Ballscrew when I was rebuilding them, I will try & find a photo
    Thanks.

The shaft I'm referring to I haven't measured, but I'd guess it to be perhaps 3/4" to 1" in diameter.

Tom

Thanks.

The shaft I'm referring to I haven't measured, but I'd guess it to be perhaps 3/4" to 1" in diameter.

Tom
    I'm not sure what you have then, if the small shaft is not sticking out the end, the shaft size would be .750 that is the end of the Ballscrew, & the part I used to machine off, the motor shaft was .625 but that changes depending on what motor have have mounted
    Mactec54

I'm not sure what you have then, if the small shaft is not sticking out the end, the shaft size would be .750 that is the end of the Ballscrew, & the part I used to machine off, the motor shaft was .625 but that changes depending on what motor have have mounted
    That upper picture looks very similar to what mine looks like.

The front of the mill looks better with the flat cover on it. Did you make that flat cover? What's it made of?

Tom

That upper picture looks very similar to what mine looks like.

The front of the mill looks better with the flat cover on it. Did you make that flat cover? What's it made of?

Tom
    Just regular 6061 Aluminum, For the cover if the Ballscrew does not stick out very far, then it may have been changed at some time, was the counter working if not, then it was changed for a newer model Ballscrew

You have to pocket out the back of the plate to give the shafts some clearance
    Mactec54

Just regular 6061 Aluminum, For the cover if the Ballscrew does not stick out very far, then it may have been changed at some time, was the counter working if not, then it was changed for a newer model Ballscrew

You have to pocket out the back of the plate to give the shafts some clearance
    Yes, the counter still works. Just don't see any need to use it. Suppose it's a predecessor of the DRO.

How thick is the cover plate, and how deep did you have to pocket it?

Tom

I was just reading, the small flat bossed area on the left front of the table, that is the counter 0,0 location (I presume when the spindle is centered over that boss, there is the provision for a user-drilled hole). I use the mechanical counters to verify that I've not lost steps. I do not have a Z-axis pulley cover, but I read there is a counter there too? I would like that cover/counter.

There is no counter on the Z axes, there was a micrometer adjustment, but not a counter,Like the X & Y axes had, Don't drill a hole at that point on the table, there is no need for any one to do that, & it would have to be machined if it was done, it would serve no purpose to do it
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    I do not have a Z-axis pulley cover, but I read there is a counter there too?
    The "counter" is more like a dial on a manual machine. Here is a photo of mine - looking up from beside the mill table.

Attachment 237362
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

I may have a cover & micro dial, I will check, I know I have the cover
    Mactec54

How thick is the cover plate, and how deep did you have to pocket it?
    .500 thick for the plate just do the pockets to give the shafts some clearance
    Mactec54