584,837 active members*
5,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > SS SmoothStepper/C25 BOB--Please Help Me Understand

SS SmoothStepper/C25 BOB--Please Help Me Understand

Hello folks!
    This is my first post, though I've been reading for the past six months as much pertinent material as possible on CNCZone (and other sites) in an effort to anticipate the many pitfalls associated with CNC electronics.
    I am an absolute newbie but I feel I'm at the point where I am competent to build my own wood router. So I did, and I am now ready to finish the electronics as I have one motor turning, e-stop working, homing/limit switches operational, and spindle on-off controlled per Mach3.
    I got all of the above working, however, by switching to a connection scheme that tells me I really don't understand the relationship between the components.
    When I connect the NC e-stop and NC (in series) limit switches using pins 9, 4 (respectively) to 5V as on page 4-2 of the C25 manual they work.
    But I cannot make any switches work using the wiring configuration on page 4-3 regardless of high or low active settings in Mach3?
    Could you folks help me understand why not?

The attached drawing is how my control board actually looks (except for modified e-stop & limit wiring as explained). All signal wires are shielded, elevated for distance, and cross noisy wires at 90deg. as much as possible.
    I also include the C25 BOB manual.

Thank you.

Jules

Re: SS SmoothStepper/C25 BOB--Please Help Me Understand

Your drawing shows a switch connected between 9 and ground. It needs to be between 9 and 5V. If you are connecting switches in series you need to connect 5V to one end of switch A. Connect the other end of switch A to one end of switch B.
    Connect the other end of switch B to 9.

Get on the diagnostic screen of Mach and use a jumper wire on the C25 board and see how it is working.

Re: SS SmoothStepper/C25 BOB--Please Help Me Understand

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    Your drawing shows a switch connected between 9 and ground. It needs to be between 9 and 5V. If you are connecting switches in series you need to connect 5V to one end of switch A. Connect the other end of switch A to one end of switch B.
    Connect the other end of switch B to 9.

Get on the diagnostic screen of Mach and use a jumper wire on the C25 board and see how it is working.
    Thanks for the reply, Brian.
    But note that I have 10 and gnd connected in the drawing as is specified on pg 4-3 of the manual. This did not work so, as you suggest, I connected to 9 and 5v and got e-stop to work. But why?
    The manual says that 10 and gnd should give me e-stop function.
    I got the limits to work by connecting them just as you said but only to pins 4 and 5v. But again, manual reads that they should work using gnd & 12 but they don't. Why not?
    Jules