585,708 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Running a G84 cycle on a 325J

Running a G84 cycle on a 325J

I need to tap 150 10-32 holes. I need the machine to do it as I don't wish to do these by hand. Anyone do this? What does the standard G code look like? I really don't want to have to hand key this crap in. My fixture holds 8 parts with 2 holes each. Each hole needs to be drilled and possibly spot drilled, then tapped. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. My machine has the Delta 20 controller and I am using CamBam so I will probably have to do some sort of custom script to make this happen.

Re: Running a G84 cycle on a 325J

1st thing is to get a floating tap holder, ( tension/compression is another name )
    something like this link
    - you can get a lot cheaper

Do NOT use a tap in a rigid setup ( ie sidelock, collet chuck etc) unless your machine can do rigid tapping

I suggest you go for a straight shank (ER16) for the smaller tap sizes, as the collets for milling will suit this holder
    - the head of the holder has up/down movement to allow for the spindle stop & reversal, where the feed axis is not synchronised with the spindle ( as in rigid (or fixed) tapping )

the taping code would be similar to a Fanuc
    G99 ( return to initial level) or G98 ( return to R-plane)
    G95 (feed per revolution )
    G84 X Y Z-z.zzzz Rr.rrrr Ff.ffff
    G94 ( feed per minute)

where :-
    X Y is hole position
    Z is the tapping finish depth
    R is the Z point where tapping is starting from
    F is the tap pitch ( in G95 mode) OR tap pitch X RPM ( G94 mode )

some controls may use a dwell (P) before spindle reversal, &/or pecking (Q).....do NOT use these addresses unless you prove that they work correctly
    if G95 is used.....make sure you return it back to G94 .... this is one of the programming commandments
    Fanucs use a G29 (prep for tapping) above the G84 line, check if your control uses a similar code.

I already have a T/C tap holder a friend of mine loaned to me a few months ago. So I am good there. I also picked up a tapmatic tapping head but it needs some parts and I would need to figure out how to run the torque bar to make that work. My Controller recognizes G84 like this from what I can tell: G84X0.00Y0.00Z0.00R0.00L0 where R is the return plane and L is the Dwell time for the spindle to wind down. At least that is how I think it is supposed to go. I am going to do some investigating today and see what works. I am not sure of the M03 M04 and M05 commands are automatic to the tapping cycle or if they need to be added in some way. The real trick will be tweaking the CAM program to output this code since it doesn't look like it will readily do a tapping op with out some special stuff and things.

I just had to tap the same amount of holes 2 days ago but with a 3\8 tap PM me and I can write the program for you and send it to you in a file ready to send.