584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > "Virtual" y-axis of Index machine. Should i buy it ?

"Virtual" y-axis of Index machine. Should i buy it ?

Good afternoon everybody !

My company decided to change it's conventional lathes to CNC lathes. One of our options is an IT600 Index-Traub lathe. We need a machine with an y-axis and this is where our doubts begin.

This machine has an "interpolated" y-axis, which means that the y-axis will come as a result of the movement of the main spindle and the movement of the toolholder equiped with a driven tool. I need to drill holes and make screws with it (as small as M2 screws).

Is this system reliable? Is it harder to program it ? Are there any limitations that i should consider ?

Re: "Virtual" y-axis of Index machine. Should i buy it ?

I run 3 ms40's. which we run as a job shop type of environment. We break down these setups like every two weeks or so which is unheard of with these machines. I have run up to 5 of these motors at one time. Three of the 5 slides with motors have a Y axis. The system is extremely reliable in my machines. You program it as if the the spindle has nothing to do with it. Its no harder than any other Y axis machine. If you need help with these machines, try to contact Index Germany rather then USA. They have a lot more knowledge, and can help in more ways then Index USA. In short, it being "interpolated" Y axis should not discorage you. whether you're milling, drilling, or even to spin a brush wheel to deburr parts. I have never had issues with repeatability or reliability. with all different end-mill and drill sizes.

Re: "Virtual" y-axis of Index machine. Should i buy it ?

Thank you very much for your reply, this will be our first CNC machine and we have lots of doubts ! Again, thank you !